Friday, August 29, 2008

Please Don't Go!




Dear Summer,

Why are you leaving so quickly? Please don't go. Oh, how I have enjoyed you being here; and I will sorely miss you when you are gone for good. These last couple of weeks I have felt the chill in the air each morning when I send Luke out of the door, and I just know you are going to be gone very soon. Here are just a few of the things I love about you...

I love celebrating the birth of our country and our state with parades, rodeos, fireworks, and BBQs. I love the long, warm, sunny days and the cool breezy evenings, when it is just cool enough to need a jacket. I love the wardrobe change from pants and sweaters to shorts and t-shirts (and those cute muscle shirts for the boys). I love flip-flops! I love the smell of fresh cut grass and newly blooming flowers. I love cooking hot dogs and roasting marshmallows on a sick over an open flame. I love the way the fields look with the evening sun shining through the spray of water from the big irrigating sprinklers. I love the the tall, fat rows of hay laying in the fields after it has been cut. I love vacations to the lake, family reunions, and all the time I get to spend with my family. I love my boys spending time at the cabin and fishing with Grandpa in the mountains. I love sending Noah out to farm and having him come back smelling like a farmer (grease, hay, and dogs). I love my boys learning how to help with the big cow round-up. I love sleeping with my window open. I love growing tomatoes, peas, corn, zucchini, and strawberries in my garden. I love EATING all the delicious things I grow in my garden. There is nothing like the taste of butter dripping off of fresh corn, salt and pepper on a summer tomato, peas right out of the pod, strawberries on EVERYTHING, and of course chocolate zucchini cake! I love the sound of the wind blowing through the leaves of the aspen trees outside my window. I love to see my boys enjoying some of the same things I did when I was a kid (sleeping on the tramp, running through the sprinklers, playing in the irrigation water, and climbing trees).

I know that fall must come, and then the snows of winter. But please don't stay away too long, June is far to late for you to come again.

A fond farewell,
Olivia

10 comments:

The Gunnerson Family said...

Oh Summer - I love it so too, but then comes Fall and I love Fall so much as well! The colors are so beautiful and the days are fair and the nights really, really crisp. Then comes beautiful Winter and I love going out early mornings in the dark when there's no sound and I can see my breath--then to hear the sound of the ice scraper on the windshield. Oh, but wait -- then comes Spring with such promise! The promise of new life! Don't feel too bad about Summer - as the next season will be great as well! Honestly, I am always sad for Summer to leave us even though I do love the other seasons as well! I totally relate to your sentiments. Love, Mom

Chelsea Johnson said...

Yes, but did you have the same ode to summer when you lived in Las Vegas? I think not!!!

I, too, love all the wonderful things about summer, at least in Kamas. I do like fall as well, so I'm looking foward to that too!

I loved all the time we got to spend with you guys this summer, and this was a wonderful post to document it!

Giselle Rasheta said...

I love all those things, too! Of course, none of them actually describe summer in Phoenix. I am looking forward to fall and winter so I can find some things I LOVE about this crazy place.

Thank you for your post! I could see each thing happening as you talked about it, could remember doing it myself, could TASTE the food you described (especially tomatoes with salt and pepper-I've been trying to explain to Noah how much I want a tomato that I can eat like an apple!)...I love the summertime in Kamas so much, so thank you for your ode to it.

PS I'm so glad to see that you got the Bear Lake pictures and were able to use them! They're so cute!!!

Cassondra said...

Sad for you Olivia! I forget that summer is ending in every other normal place. Being as how we skip fall, I am looking forward to our "bearable summer" which is finally approaching! I loved reading your letter. You are very clever and a talented writer. So much of what you described is exactly the things I was loving about being in Idaho with Jakes parents this last month. Aren't we lucky to have those moments? Even if they can't last all year?

Thanks for the comments on my blog. I agree that blogging isn't quite doing it for me right now either, so we'll have to touch base on the phone soon. But I am THRILLED at the prospect of hanging out in October!

PS. Still wondering how to make my blog tell me when people update...can you help me with that?

Billie Jo said...

Wow! I couldn't have said it better. I LOVE living here and enjoying all that it has to offer. While I truely enjoy fall, I am sad to see all the fun times of summer go. I love having you live here so we can enjoy the summer together!!!

Foote Family said...

I wish I could say the same things about the summer here. It is so hot and VERY humid that all you can do in get from one air conditioned place to another. I am really missing the crispness of fall and wish that I could have all four seasons back. We're leaving next August, so hopefully the next stop will have more than just one season. Hopefully, we won't have the air conditioner running, wearing shorts and watching Duane mow the lawn on Christmas day again this year:)!!

Vicki said...

Beautiful post, Olivia!

Hollie said...

There is nothing like a summer in Kamas Valley... You are lucky to be there and get to enjoy it.- Hollie

The Cox Family said...

I couldn't agree more! I wish summer was just a couple of months longer. With this past weekend being so cold I am afraid fall/winter will be here before we know it! Great post!

Jadi said...

Wow! You are a great writer Olivia! I have to admit I have missed most of those things this summer. It has been so hot and humid here that we haven't been able to enjoy being outside unless it has been to go swimming. I hope the fall will give us some nice weather to enjoy before it gets too cold. You are so lucky you are able to raise your boys in such a great place!
Thank you so much for inviting me to view your family recipe blog. I have been LOVING it!