Sunday, August 24, 2008

First week of first grade follies




Back to school time! Luke and I have both been excited for school to start, and this week the wait was finally over. The week was so "eventful" that I thought it was worth a recap for all of our friends and family.

Monday: We started our first week with Back to School Night on Monday evening. We got to the school just in time to hear the principal give her "welcome" and school rules presentation. After that presentation the time had finally arrived go to the first grade area, find Luke's locker and classroom, and meet his new teacher. With great anticipation we found Luke's seat and met the students that sat at his table. Luke was very excited to see that one of his classmates from Kindergarten was sitting right next to him. I was less excited than Luke because it happened to be a girl that Luke said he thought was cute. I hoped this would not prove to be too much of a problem. Let's face it, Luke can be easily distracted by a cute face and a little conversation! There was a stack of papers on Luke desk that I was busily filling out while the teacher spoke to us all about the class responsibilities and rules. Luke was even given a "star student" train poster to complete as homework for the first week. Homework before school even started? Oh well, nothing like jumping right in with both feet.

Tuesday: The big day! Luke was up bright and early and we got dressed, ate breakfast, packed his lunch bag, and got out of the door early enough to take some pictures before the bus came. Luke jumped right on the bus and was gone. I could hardly wait until he got home so I could hear all about his day. He loves to talk and I just knew that he would have quite a story to tell upon arrival. I couldn't have been more wrong. When he got home I asked him to tell me all about his first day. He looked at me and said, "I really don't remember much." I tried to extract the details by asking if they read any books, did and worksheets, who he sat by on the bus and at lunch, what he did at recess, etc., etc. Luke simply grumbled something about not having a good remembering brain. What? I reminded him that he can talk to me for and HOUR about all that happened in this week's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle episode, so I knew that he tell me something about his day! Again more grumbling and claims of not remembering. I sent him to his bed to think about things and told him that I was going to ask him everyday about school, so he better try to remember things!

Once he came out of his room he did provide a few scant details about what he had done at school. During our conversation about lunch I realized we had a problem. If you know Luke, you know that he is possibly the SLOWEST eater around. He told me that after he finished his lunch he asked a girl (later details emerged that it was the principal) what he should. She told him to put his lunch bag in his locker and go out to recess. With lunch bag put away, he headed outside only to find that he was the only first-grader out there. A few minutes later his teacher came out to find him because he was suppose to be in class! He had taken so much time to eat that recess was over and class had already begun. Great, now the teacher must think he is a total space cadet. I did my best to nicely encourage Luke to eat lunch a little faster and pay attention to the kids around him to see when all the other kids in his class were finished eating. Okay, not the best first day, but I was sure that Luke would be able to make up for his first day error and prove to be the model student I know his is.

Wednesday: Surprisingly I miss Luke while he is at school. Even though I still have two at home I was really looking forward to Luke coming home so I could talk to him about his day. He came busting through the door and this time was able to have a conversation about school without being sent to time out to think. Class, lunch, bus rides, recess, and even P.E. All seems to have gone without a hitch. A little while later I got a phone call to inform me that during recess Luke has been spotted holding hands and kissing a girl! Actually the girl was said to have kissed Luke, but one way or the other supposedly kissing had occurred. Although I didn't really think this escapade sounded like something Luke would do, I called him in for questioning. He denied all of the allegations, but confessed to chasing the said girl around during recess (his favorite activity). I decided to take his word for it because I really don't think that Luke would be holding hand and kissing girls. He is pretty shy (as he always tells me).

I decided to get his old yearbook out and look up the girl who was involved in the recess incident and found her to be pretty cute (a little red-head), so if it is true at least he has good taste. Luke then started looking through his yearbook to see the pictures of the kids who are in his class. I looked over at him and found that he was kissing someone's picture! I asked him who he was kissing and he told me...Mrs. Schumann, his teacher. Again, good taste. She is a cute, skinny, mid-twenties, little thing.

Thursday: After another busy morning of getting ready for school while taking care of all the kids I sent Luke out the door just in time to catch the bus, or so I thought. I watched out of the window for the bus to pass, and never saw it go by. I walked out of the driveway and found Luke still standing there waiting for the bus that we obviously missed. I quickly threw clothes on myself and Noah (sorry Eli you got to go in pajamas) and jumped in the car to get Luke to school in time. Note to self; the bus comes earlier than the "schedule" they sent home said it would.

I was lounging on the bed with Noah and Eli around the time that Luke should have been getting home, when I looked at the clock and made a mental note that he was 8 minutes later than he was the day before. It was time to feed Eli so I sat down and fed him and waited for Luke to come home. When I was finished feeding the baby and Luke still wasn't home I started to get concerned. I called Billie Jo to ask her if she thought I should be worried and she said I should call the district office and have them radio the bus to see if he was on it. I decided that before I made the phone call I could walk over to the neighbor's house to see if he went there to play instead of coming home. No one was even home at the neighbor's house and I started to get more and more worried about where Luke could be. As I was walking down their driveway I saw a bus finally come pulling up. Luke got off, but I noticed that there weren't any other kids on the bus. I hurried to the bus and found out that Luke had gotten on the wrong bus at the school and so he had to stay on the bus until the route was finished and the driver could bring him home. I figure that Luke would be pretty upset by this, so when I talked to him about what happened I tried to be as nice as possible as I explained the importance of paying attention to what bus he was getting on. Luke swears that he was standing in the right line by some of his friend that ride his bus, but somehow he ended up on the wrong bus. In his defense, the bus driver of the WRONG bus was his driver last year so he probably didn't think anything of it when he got on and saw her in the driver's seat. By the end of our conversation Luke was crying and informed me that he needed some time alone. Didn't he just have quite a long bus ride alone? Oh well. I let him lay on my bed and watch some cartoons, which seemed to make everything better.

Friday: Our last chance to have a day without any problems. As I was reading through Luke's planner I saw that for homework his "star student" train poster was due. Oops. Someone's parents forgot to even bring it home on Back to School Night. I quickly wrote a note to Luke's teacher explaining why Luke didn't have his FIRST assignment completed! So much for being the model student. It was just a small glitch, and considering the week we had just had I figured it could've been much worse. What an eventful week of first grade. I hope the next 9 months are a little less "eventful".

21 comments:

Brett and Heather said...

You have had quite a week. i hope our week goes better because the first day is tomorrow. I am hoping I can get four kids out the door and where they are supposed to be, fed, teeth brushed and hair combed by 9am. I have so enjoyed lazy summer mornings.

We miss seeing you guys at church.

Haylee said...

Wow!! That is a pretty intense week! That sounds like a pretty tough week for Luke! I am sure week two will be "less eventful." Keep us updated on the kissing stories! That made me laugh!! Good luck!

Kati said...

What a little ladies man!
Sounds like a pretty good week. Hope this week is a little less eventful though.
So glad you wrote all these things down for him.

Billie Jo said...

He truely is the cutest kid I know! I started laughing at the dinner table the other night when Tess was eating because I thought of the story you had told me earlier in the day (the lunch episode) and I can totally see her doing that. I can't wait for this week with Tess in Kindergarten, I hope things go somewhat more smooth for her! How could the girls not want to kiss a boy like that!

tortured mormon mom said...

Oh my gosh, I am sitting at my computer laughing about poor Luke. Wait until you get 2 calls and 2emails in one week about behaviour issues from all for of your boys. Two who are in one school and the other two in two different schools. I told Jay I was done raising boys that he had to do it. The next week went much better.

Billie Sue said...

Well, now you truly see that I meant it when I used to say, "Don't do anything you shouldn't, or I will know about it before you come home!" The beauty of living in a small community where everyone knows you well enough to care about your kids and call to keep you abreast of what you might not know! Luke is great and it is a huge jump from kindergarten to first grade. Another plus about living in a small community -- the bus driver knows who you are brings you right to your doorstep! If you think you life is full of worries - wait until all of your boys are in school and you think life was easier when they were all home!

Foote Family said...

What an exciting week! It looks like you'll have to keep an eye on him with the girls. Ryan has had his share of admirers, but thankfully no kissing involved. I hope that the year goes on without too many more incidents. My two just started today, so we'll see how the day went when they get home.

Giselle Rasheta said...

I was seriously laughing outloud as I read this post, and I read it to Noah, Nate, Nik and Anissa because I thought it was so funny. Luke is one of the smartest kids I know...don't worry about him too much. He just needs to brush up on his elementary school "street smarts." Haha...good luck with the rest of school!

Anonymous said...

What a week! I was laughing so hard at so many different points in time. Some of the highlights to me were, "I don't have a good remembering brain," kissing his teacher's picture, you sending him to his room to think about things....hilarious! I feel bad about the lunch thing and the school bus, and the homework, because I know how sensitive he is, so I hope he handled it okay. Hopefully the next week is a little better!

Stephanie said...

Olivia this was seriously just what I needed tonight, I was getting SO emotional tonight about Brendan being gone all day. Poor little guy. We are gearing up for tomorrow, I am still not quite sure what I am going to do!

Emily said...

school days, school days. . .
I loved your day by day recap. Luke is such a charmer (with all that kissing)!!!!

Loved it.

Jadi said...

Geoff read this to me last night and when he got to the part about Luke kissing the teachers picture we couldn't stop laughing! I hope this week goes a little smoother for him.

The Cox Family said...

Can that all really happen in just one week of school? I feel so bad for little Luke. I am glad that he is not permanently traumatized, and is willing to return for another week. I had to laugh that the school actually called to tell you that Luke was supposedly holding hands with a girl and kissing her! Too Funny!

Anonymous said...

Honestly, this would make a great movie!! I could so see it on the big screen!! I stumbled across your blog and am sending you better first grade experiences to come!!!

Jody said...

Sooo funny. Though I most definitely wouldn't be worried about any of it. I have experienced much worse while I was teaching first grade. As a first grade teacher, we all felt like until 4-6 weeks into school they were still in transition mode, and then we saw who they really were. Also, until you hear they are performing marriages and being married at recess, I wouldn't worry too much.

Your kids are adorable. I love hearing about your adventures. I'm very impressed that Luke and you made it through the trauma so well.

Marleen said...

I think that is so cute. I can't believe he is already in school!

Emily said...

Hi Olivia!
I haven't talked to you for years... Since cheer my senior year probably. I just came across your blog as I was looking at Giselle's. and I wanted to say hi and tell you that I also have a new two-month old baby. His name is Noah. Haha, popular name... But anyway you have an adorable little family and I hope all is going well for you!
Emily (Wharton) Welker

Cassondra said...

Oh my goodness, Olivia! What a week! I loved reading the recap! I'm sorry I haven't been blogging. I'll call you soon. I appreciated getting your message when we got home from Idaho on Monday and I look forward to catching up! Tell Luke we said, "hi".

McNeil Family said...

Happens to the best of us Luke boy. I remember being in second grade and running over to the high school after school to ride home with grandpa (my dad). I was so confused why all of the high school kids were still in school. Oops, I had accidentally left on the last recess, not after school. No worries, ran back before recess was over.

Stephanie said...

Oh, olivia...We all miss you too! And BTW- you better not come down here and NOT see us or we all might just be offended too! :) (It really wasn't your fault for missing my posts...I really just did it last night. I have been slacking and just not feeling myself lately, and busy!)

Whitney said...

I am so glad that Nick's first week of school went better then that. Yes Joyce is still his "girl friend" but I think she is getting on his nerves because she keeps hugging him all day long. Nick says hi to Luke and you better see us when you come down.