Thursday, May 1, 2008

A family tag

Over the course of the last month Noah, Luke, and I have all been tagged by some of our friends. I really haven't been ignoring the tags, it has just taken me quite a while to think of things about all of us that most people may not already know. And although Rick was not technically tagged by anyone I added him to my list because I didn't want to leave him out of our family tag. So here goes, 8 things you may or may not know about us.

Noah
1. Noah has been our "medical problem" child so far. He was only minutes old when they took him to the NICU because he wasn't breathing very well. It turned out he had a mild infection in his blood and had to be hooked up to in I.V. for 72 hours after birth. When Noah was 2 months old I had to take him to the E.R. because he was so sick (and it was a holiday so I couldn't get him into see his doctor!). He ended up with RSV and we went to the doctor almost everyday for two weeks before he started getting better. When he 21 months old, he had to have surgery for his undescended testie and the hernia that caused it. Finally, while it is pretty minor there has hardly been a day gone by since he had RSV that he doesn't have a runny nose! The doctor says it must be allergies, but who really knows. Hopefully he has gotten all of his problems out of the way early in life and will be healthy from now on!

2. Noah has a fascination with heavy equipment. He loves tractors, bulldozers, backhoes, excavators, front-end loaders, cranes, etc. He knows them all by name and came tell you the name of different parts of the equipment and their uses.

3. Noah didn't rollover until he was 7 months, he didn't say "mama" until he was about 18 months, and is just now beginning to be interested in books. I use to be worried that he was late at developing, but now I realize that Noah will NOT be told what to do. He will do what he wants, when he wants to, and not until that time.

4. Unfortunately, Noah inherited stubbornness from both Rick and me, and many times it takes us both to out-stubborn his tantrums.

5. Even though Noah is a "challenge" (to say the least) he can also be very loving. He loves to give hugs and kisses and is always telling me how much he loves me. I think it is so cute to hear him tell my dad "I love you, pal".

6. Noah is a picky eater but strangely enough one of his favorite foods is steamed broccoli.

7. Noah is a total daredevil. It scared me how fearless he is.

8. Noah loves babies. He has always been interested in rocking, feeding, playing, kissing, and holding babies. I hope that he is as good with his new little brother, but we will see if it is different when the baby is taking away some of his attention!

Luke
1. Luke was such a difficult baby! He cried for hours at a time without any apparent reason, and would only sleep if I was holding him. This lasted until he was about 3 months old, and I thought I might loose my mind.

2. Thankfully since the difficult baby time, Luke has grown to be a very easy to handle child. He has a real sense of wanting to do what is right, and gets very upset if he thinks he has done something to make me mad. I hope he continues with this for the rest of his life!

3. Luke LOVES music! He loves to sing, play the piano, and listen to music. When he was just 2 years old he drove in the car with Rick when we moved home from Oklahoma and they listened to classical and western music the whole 20 hours. To this day he still loves to listen to all types of music. His latest love is opera.

4. Much like his father, and unlike me, Luke is pretty shy. He isn't really outgoing and is fairly reserved when he is around other kids. He doesn't like to sing for people and sometimes has to be coaxed to play the piano for them. For some reason, this shyness doesn't carry over into performances. He did great at his piano recital and recently had a starring role in the Kindergarten production of The Three Piggy Opera. (Pics and video to come).

5. Luke is really smart.

6. Luke is not very humble about being smart.

7. Luke is also a picky eater, but unlike Noah, he doesn't have a healthy favorite food. His favorites are mac-n-cheese, pizza, and spaghetti.

8. Luke has very varied interests and has said many things he would like to be when he grows up. Some of them include: math teacher, scientist, astronaut, cereal maker, cartoon artist, dentist, lawyer, and now opera singer. I am pushing for dentist if his children's teeth are anything like his!

Olivia
1. I have always loved to watch T.V. As a child I remember my brother and I sleeping on the couch on friday nights so we could wake up at 5:00 am and catch cartoons right as they came on the air. This was before T.V. was broadcast 24 hours a day and sometimes when we woke up the colored lines would still be on the screen and the loud "BEEP" would be coming out of the speakers. I still love to watch T.V. and some of my favorites shows are The Office, Lost, The Amazing Race, Survivor, So You Think You Can Dance, Dancing With the Stars, Jon and Kate plus 8, and What Not To Wear.

2. I desperately want to be on the shows What Not To Wear and The Amazing Race.

3. When I was growing up my dad and grandpa had milk cows and I would help them milk by putting grain on the ground where the cows were suppose to come to eat. I don't know if this has any correlation, but I hate milk. I only drink it because I know that I REALLY need to.

4. When I was going to BYU I was a cadet in the Army ROTC. I never really intended on being in the Army, but I did get to do some cool things. One semester I was on the female Ranger Challenge team and we went to two competitions in California. We were the only female team competing against all male teams or a few co-ed teams. We didn't win either of the competitions, but we always beat a few teams. The events in the Ranger Challenge are; a Physical Test ( 2 mile run, 2 min. push-ups, and 2 min. sit-ups), rifle marksmanships (shooting an M-16), a timed weapons disassembly/assembly (on either an M-60 or and M-16), land navigation course, rope bridge race (getting your team from one pole to the other with just one rope and a few caribeaners), hand grenade assault course, and a 10K ruck (army back pack loaded with 25 lbs.) run. The summer after my sophomore year I also attended the Army Airborne school. I went to Ft. Bening, GA for three weeks of training and the final week of jumps. I made 6 different jumps and was never so happy to be done with anything in my entire life!

5. I am the most frugal person ever! I can't make myself buy anything if it is not on sale.

6. I love to exercise, and I love to eat. I think it is a good thing that I like to exercise because I have no will power when it comes to food. This is the reason that despite ample amounts of exercise I will never be skinny.

7. I have run in one marathon, and will probably never do another. I hated waking up everyday knowing that I needed to go out and run. I do want to do a sprint triathlon and am planning it for next spring/summer.

8. I love to read. My favorite series ever is The Work and the Glory. I LOVE Jane Austen. And despite my reluctance to read a "children's book" I loved the Harry Potter series.

Rick
(These answers are by me, if you asked Rick he may come up with something totally different!)

1. Rick is the second of six boys in his family. I believe my fear of never having a daughter comes from this fact.

2. Rick is very musical. He plays the trumpet, French Horn, piano, and guitar. He is also a very good singer, but he is too shy to really let that fact get out!

3. The entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well in Rick. He is always telling me about his new idea for making millions. If it weren't for me being the "voice of reason" he probably would be a millionaire right now.

4. Rick is a closet cowboy. In fact, right before and during his mission he wasn't even in the closet about it. He was a wrangler and loud western shirt wearing guy. It was only during our last move that I finally convinced him to send his last western shirt to the D.I. He still has his boots, belt, and hat.

5. Rick has best been described as "random". When his dad described him to me this way it just clicked. I never before understood why he had so many interesting money making ideas, why he didn't seem to remember conversations we would have, or why he was so messy. Now I get it. His thought are so "random" that it doesn't even occur to him that leaving a wet towel on the bed isn't the greatest idea. Rick often reminds me that some of the greatest minds were also pretty scatter-brained.

6. In our division of labor, Rick ended up with the bathrooms. I HATE cleaning the bathroom so Rick always does it. I consider myself very lucky that he doesn't seem to mind this particular chore.

7. Rick is a very hands-on dad. When he is home he does just as much to take care of the kids as I do. He changes diapers, bathes the boys before bed, reads stories, and helps with making them eat dinner. I count down the minutes until he is home from work. Seriously, when I hear his car pull in I tell the boys "Daddy's home, go get him!"

8. Rick has the most diverse hobbies of anyone I know (it goes back to that "random" thing). He enjoys woodworking, golfing, basketball, music, cars, working outside, riding horses, tennis, fishing, ping-pong, and debating issues with Ryan and Spencer.

Well, that is it! Sorry that it is pretty long, and somewhat rambling, but I hope you feel you know the Gunnersons a little better now.

15 comments:

Cassondra said...

I hate being the first to post.

Cassondra said...

So I'll be the second.

First off, I loved this post! It was so fun to read about all of you. Secondly, I appologize in advance for the length of this comment. So much said. So much to comment on:

Noah - the poor boy is going to look back on this post as one of those "Oh, Mom!! Did you HAVE to mention my undescended testie?!?" moments. (hahaha. I think it's funny;) And even though he doesn't show his genius in the same obvious ways as Luke, his knowledge of constuction equiptment is very impressive for such a little lad! He's smarter than he's letting on...

Luke - he's so awesome! I know you hear that all the time, but it's got to feel good. How wonderful to have him as your first. His strong desires to CTR and to please you will be such a blessing to have as an example for all of your other kids! I can't wait to see more about his kindergarten opera. How cool is that?

Olivia - you are my hero! Seriously, I SO admire your work ethic, dedication to things that are right (even down to taking care of yourself and forcing a glass of milk every night - way to go!), your love for your family and your mad mom skills! You're great and I am thankful to count you as my friend! P.S. I hope to see you on Amazing Race one day! Maybe Luke will be your partner!

Rick - A husband who will clean bathrooms regularly is worth his weight in gold. More, probably. Way to go Rick! Or should I call you Random Rick? ;) Certainly a man of many talents. Between the two of you, it's really not surprising you're turning out such smart, talented kids!!

Thanks for the post!!
Cassondra

Jadi said...

I always LOVE to read tags! I always find out things I never knew. This was a lot of fun to read. I had no idea Luke loved opera! I am with you on cleaning bathrooms. I don't mind cleaning anything else but I hate cleaning bathrooms! :)

Chelsea Johnson said...

I love how frequently you are starting to update! I think its just the perfect amount. Even though I think I knew most of these things about you all, its still fun to see them all in writing, and reflect on things that I probably don't always think about when I think of your family. I love you guys and I love those little, smart, adventurous and amazing boys, and can't wait to see what the future holds for the next little Gunnerboy!

Nate and Janie said...

Thanks for the getting to know you post. I hate to admit it, but after all this time, I don't really know you guys as much as I should. Thanks for all the info on your family, it's good to know!!

Billie Sue said...

Good post! I knew all the stuff but it was fun and interesting to hear you admit to being stubborn! Love you for all of your qualities!

Chelsea Johnson said...

I just realized that you only have 44 more days till that lil' guy is here....well knowing us it may be more like 50! I can't wait to see him! Do you have bouncy chair? I am just going through all of the "baby" baby things and don't want to put them too far away if they may be of use to you!

Billie Jo said...

You are such a great blogger. I have to say that you are now the queen of the blogging world. I hope you know that Noah and Luke are such good kids BECAUSE of you and your influence on them. If I worked out as religiously as you did I would be really skinny!!! As far as the reading goes, I wish I had a desire to read a book or series of books. Noah is the best. Luke is all of my childs' BEST friend, and thank heavens Rick and Tim are back together. They make such a cute couple.

Emily said...

I LOVED this post. I LOVE how well you know your "boys". I LOVED remembering your hatred for milk (even in middle school). I Loved hearing about Rick and thinking, "man! you DID find your perfect fit!"
Loved it. Loved it.
I JUST LOVE YOU, OLIVIA!!!!!

The Cox Family said...

I loved reading all those facts about you guys. I can't believe Luke was such a difficult baby. There is hope for Cam!!! I hear you on the medical problems. I swear I have to take Cam to the doctor at least once a month. Kids are so expensive! I am so impressed that you were in the ROTC. What a tuff woman you are! I had to laugh when you were talking about Rick being an entrepreneur. Unfortuantely Curtis is the same way. Every week he has some new idea and drives me crazy talking about it. Maybe someday we will both be millionaires!

We have been thinking about you guys after hearing that your grandma had passed away. Our prayers are with you all. If you need help with anything, please let us know!

Foote Family said...

I enjoyed reading your post and got to know a little more about you and your family. It sounds like you have two great little boys and a talented husband! Duane is like Rick, always has a plan to make millions and I too am the "voice of reason".
We have some of the same favorite shows and I too would love to do The Amazing Race with Duane. Why do you think you need to go on What Not to Wear? Is it for the makeover? It does sound pampering.
I remember our Ranger Challenge days! Oh, the fun we had! Do you remember our attempt to train for the Las Vegas marathon and then found out it was like running from Provo to Brigham City? I'm glad you ran one, I am contemplating one myself. I think I'll start with the Army 10-miler coming up.
Best wishes on your upcoming arrival!

Stephanie said...

OK because I admire you and Cassondra so much I am tagging you with the TTA (tuesday tell All) post for this week- Hope you have a happy Mother's day!

McNeil Family said...

Olivia I love this post. It is such a good insight into your little family. I can't wait until you have one more little guy to add in the mix! It's almost here!

Kati said...

Great tag! I love that you included everyone in your family!

Julie Johnson said...

Hi,
I am a friend of Heathers and I rarely post on others blogs, but I was enjoying your music when I read about your son crying for three months for no reason. My first son did that too. One doctor told me I was holding him too much, but like you that was the only time he would sleep. It turned out that I had a yeast infection on my breasts and he was getting one in his stomach. I asked my ob about it and he said a lot of women have this problem, gave me some cream and my son was better in ONE DAY! My second son was also this way, but it turned out he was allergic to lactose sugars. His doctor ran all kinds of tests that did nothing and treated him for every problem except the one he had. We finally changed his formula to a new lactose free that is out now and he was fine after nine months of screaming and no sleeping! I now how the endless nights of screaming go and hope that others can get some sleep. This might not have been what your son had, but I have met a lot of moms that have had similar problems and doctors never bring it up as a possibility unless you do. Anyway hope you get to sleep some with your new baby.