Friday, May 9, 2008

Goodbye, Grandma. We will miss you.

Luke and Noah with my grandma at her 80th birthday party. December 2005.







Late last Friday night my cute little grandma passed away. She has been sick for a couple of years, but has been managing it with chemotherapy, medicine, and transfusions. For the last two months she has not been doing very well and even had surgery to remove her spleen and gallbladder. Unfortunately, she was not able to get better and last week she came home from the hospital to be with her family. I am so glad that I have been here for the last two months so that the boys and I could see her more often. I took them up to see her once she was home from the hospital, and although she was in and out of sleep during our visit, I knew she was happy that we had come to see her again. Just the morning of the day she passed away I went up to see her without the boys so I could have a little more peaceful visit. I held her hand and talked to her, even though she wasn't able to wake up and respond. As I held her hand I thought all about how much those hands had done for me. She came to Colorado to stay with my family when my mom had me, and was there to hold me the day I was born. As a child I lived right across the driveway from her and I know she spent countless hours taking care of me and watching me as I played with my siblings and cousins on her farm. She has held my babies as she sang her little lullabies to them and has even watched them for me when I needed a babysitter. Her hands loved to write little cards of expression and I often found them in the mail for no other reason than just to say "hi, I love you." My hands look just like my mom's, and my mom's look just like my grandma's. So I guess you could say that I have my grandma's hands. I just hope that my hands can do as much good in this world as my grandma's have. I love you, Grandma. I will miss you so much.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought I was over the tears but they came right back when I read your blog. Everything you say is so true and exact about those hands. I too feel thatmy hands look just like those hands and there is so much in the world that those hands need to do. This is really Billie Jo but for some reason blogger will no resond to my pass word.

Amy said...

So sorry for your loss. But sounds like she was an amazing woman. What a blessing that you were able to see her earlier that morning. Hope you are all doing well. Tell Rick that it's my month to conduct the music and whenever I mess up I think about him laughing at me. :)

Anonymous said...

Olivia,

I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I have been thinking about you a lot. I hope that the peace of knowing God's plan will help during this time. You have so many great memories. Take care and hopfully I will get to see you soon.
Addison

Haylee said...

I am sorry for your loss. She sounds like a great woman! It's always a comfort though to know you will see her again! Love you!

Kati said...

Olivia, I am so sorry for your family's loss. It is never easy to lose a loved one. I know you will all miss her so much. You all have such wonderful memories of her.

briggsbunch said...

I am so sorry about your Grandma Olivia. My Grandma was the woman I admired the most next to my mom. You will miss her forever but know that she's watching over you and I know you will feel that. You will be comforted by that. So sorry.

Foote Family said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. She sounds like a wonderful women who was a great example. I am glad to hear that you have so many wonderful memories of her.

Unknown said...

Olivia-
Geez, make me bawl. Looking at the picture of your sweet little Grandma and hearing the josh Groban song made me loose it. Losing someone is so hard, but at the same time just think of the peace she is in. We are going throught the same thing with Mike's spunky little Grandma. She will be gone anyday. I too look at my Grandma's hands and can't help but think of all the things she's accomplished in her lifetime.
Thoughts and prayers are with you,
Erika

Billie Sue said...

Thank you, Olivia, for that beautiful post. Your thoughts are very tender. You are right -- your hands do look like Mom's and they have done so much for others in this life. Not only do your hands look like hers, but so do your feet, so walk in her path of loving, caring and giving and you will be following a path of service and kindness to others all your life. Love, Mom

Cassondra said...

What a beautiful truibute to your grandma, Olivia!! I am so sorry for your loss - it's never easy, even if you know it's coming. I got teary just reading your thoughtful words. She sounds like a really special lady. It's not surprising that you are a descendant of hers. I think you are well on your way to emulating her hands. She's left her legacy through you and all who are following her example. What a blessing to have been near her those last 2 months! I bet it meant a lot to her to have her loved ones close by. My thoughts are with your family.
cassondra

Vanessa said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. You wrote quite the tribute to your grandmother and I want to thank you for that. It was very inspirational. I can tell through you that she was an amazing women.

Vicki said...

What a beautiful tribute, Olivia. I'm sure your grandma has been proud of you!

Jadi said...

I am sorry to hear about your Grandma. She sounded like an amazing woman. I am glad you were able to move back when you did to have that time with her.

Nate and Janie said...

Sorry about your grandma. She sounds like a wonderful woman and such a great example. Also it was fun to see you on Saturday, I enjoyed our chats!