Monday, March 31, 2008

A Day on the Ice

Rick has been promising the boys to take them ice fishing for a couple of weeks, but because we have been so busy they haven't gotten around to it until this past weekend. What fun they had spending the day on Strawberry Reservoir. Darin met them in Heber to enjoy the day, which was a good thing because he was the only one who actually caught any fish! Oh well, they all had a great time, and we got to enjoy fresh trout for our Sunday dinner.

Luke patiently waiting for a bite.


Noah trying to dig another hole (good luck, the ice was 2 ft. deep).


Noah, the happy fisherman


Noah was very descriptive about how they had to kill the fish once they were caught. (If you know Noah at all you know that he is somewhat obsessed with violence. He is constantly talking about cutting things with a "very sharp knife (insert ax, saw, sword, etc.)." He is fixated on people getting hurt/cut/killed on any movie he sees. For example; if he talks about the Incredibles it is to mention the "very big robot to kill Mr. Incredible". He also watched the animated story of Joseph Smith and it seems the only part he remembers is that "the doctor comes to cut Joseph's leg with a very sharp knife." Needless to say, he in into violence). So, when Rick asked him to tell me what they did to the fish once they had caught them his response was "I bang fish, bang, bang, bang (jumping up and down and showing me how to "bang") and hit them so hard to kill it. I cut fish in bum with a very sharp knife. I murder fishy." All this was said in an angry voice with grimace on is face. Murder? Where did my 2-year-old learn the word murder? Who knows. To my knowledge he mostly watches Dora and Diego. So yesterday in church Mr. Chatty was telling the old lady sitting in front of us that he had gone fishing and I was just praying that he didn't mention anything about the subsequent "murder" of the fish. Thankfully, he left that part out.

16 comments:

McNeil Family said...

I'm looking at that sweet little boy and if I hadn't heard him tell the Joseph Smith knife story I don't know if I would believe it. I actually the the fish things sounds much more disturbing. Yuck! No fishing for me, but cute pictures of the boys.

McNeil Family said...

OK, I saw the errors in my comment but I don't want to delete it. (I am supposed to be working right now.) So it should say: "I actually think the fish thing sounds...."

And ha.. First TWO comments for me.

Patrice

Amy said...

Noah is the coolest 2 year old ever. You need to get him a helmet and pads so he can have an outlet for that anger.
Tommy (Amy does not support comments made by tommy)

Marleen said...

It is slightly cute that he has this fascination. Yet, as a fellow mother I would be praying that it was only a phase. Ice fishing sounds so fun. It reminds me of Grumpy Old Men.

Billie Sue said...

Having lived through six children, I am very aware that every child has his/her own personality, but these two boys are as different as night and day! Luke, on the one hand, who disciplines himself even in the absence of his parents! Then, there is Noah, who blatently shouts, "NO! to suggested actions from parents or grandparents, but when I take him out the driveway, five seconds out of his mother's presence, he is crying, "I want my mommy!" Let me just add that Rick was laughing so hard at Noah's description that his face turned three shades of even darker red than it was from the wind/sun burn he got fishing!

briggsbunch said...

That is so funny! Don't worry, Harman has a star wars obsession right now and he thinks that the fighting parts are the coolest. I think little boys are the best! P.S. Ice fishing looks really cold. No thanks!!!! :)

Chelsea Johnson said...

Yes, Red Rick is back!!! That little Noah guy is so funny and somewhat crazy, I can attest to that! I'm glad the boys finally got to go fishing and spend some time out there with Ricky. I do love how Noah kept saying, "wheery sarp," about the razor in the bath tub the last time he was here. Its so funny to hear him say it!

I think with all the craziness and snow going on, you should escape to my house for a little vacation!

Foote Family said...

Wow, it looks so cold!! I am thankful for out 75 degree weather right now! Also, I know about your violence concern with Noah. When Ryan was little and we were reading the Book of Mormon, the only thing he could remember was that someone killed or tried to kill someone else. Hmmm, is that what we should really be getting out of reading this book?! He has mostly grown out of it, but he still has a certain fascination with violence.

Emily said...

Gwa ha ha ha. . . I'm still laughing at Noah's version of ice fishing. I can tell you that he probably gets his "violent" vocabulary from church and the scriptures. That's where my kids learn all about fighting and killing.

I love the pictures - Aw, they almost make me want to to try ice fishing. . .

Haylee said...

Oh my gosh!! Ha ha ha!! That was clasic!

Billie Jo said...

Even though Noah tries to "kill" Mia with the sword I know that he still loves her and his actions are somehow showing his adoration to her. As far as the ice fishing it sounds like your boys do much better than Ellie and the screaming and crying. I guess I will have to let Tim go with Rick just to have the experience of having boys fishing!

Cassondra said...

I'm just laughing out loud picturing Noah tell about "murdering the fishy". I think it's hilarious! I love your boys so much. What a fun thing to be able to take them ice fishing! That looks really cool.

Haylee said...

Don't worry, I only put one of your three comments on! ha ha! Sorry about making you go through the approval, we just had someone post REALLY bad things on our blog, so I make sure I check them all now.

Jadi said...

I always enjoy reading your blog! I had no idea Noah was into violence. Kaylee is obsessed with bums. She is always doing her famous bum dance and talking about bums. Ice fishing looks like a boy thing. I can't imagine sitting out in the freezing cold and enjoying it. However, I am sure Kaden would love it!

Jadi said...

P.S. We loved Luke's comment! Tell him we would love to hear from him anytime!

The Cox Family said...

Ice fishing is so cold, but it looks like it didn't even phase the boys one bit! The picture of Noah sitting on his chair with that huge grin on his face says it all. I am sure his obsession with killing things will pass over time.