Monday, May 4, 2009

A Little Perspective

Life is all about perspective.


A couple of weeks ago we were enjoying some fabulous spring weather. When Luke got home from school I encouraged the boys to go out and enjoy the nice warm afternoon. Not long after they went out to play, they came back in to ask if they could put the sprinkler under the trampoline. I told them that it wasn't quite warm enough for that (it was probably about 65 degrees). So Noah quickly made a request that he has been making all winter long, which I have been denying until it "gets warm". He asked if they could play with their shirts off. I said yes, and off they went.

It really made me reflect on how much in our lives is all about our perspective. When we lived in Las Vegas I kept the boys in pants and long-sleeved shirts until it was 70 degrees outside. Shorts weren't an option until the 80's came along. Now we live in the frigid north and once the thermometer hits 65 I am letting them play outside without their shirts! Yep, now 65 degrees is warm.

It's amazing how differently we can see things when we look at them from a different perspective.

11 comments:

Cassondra said...

So true, Olivia! And GREAT picture! Seriously! Amazing shot!

I miss you! Let's visit soon.

Jadi said...

I agree with you. My perspective has changed a lot from living in Wyoming, Florida and now Maryland. I hope Luke had a great birthday. The boys are all adorable. I hope things will go well with your home. I can't wait to see it!

Stephanie said...

So true. I'm dreading coming up later this week because 65 sounds cold after being in the 80's.

Chelsea Johnson said...

Totally true!!! It was very evident when you guys came down here and I had Jack bundled up in his winter clothes while you and Billie Jo's kids were in shorts and tanks!

Giselle Rasheta said...

I love that picture...he looks seriously elated to be shirtless! And yes, what you say is definitely true. While 65 does sound a bit chilly to me, your beautiful 80's all summer are going to kick butt compared to the summer here :( Poor Rajko already has a heat rash almost everyday, and it's only May!

Billie Jo said...

Bring on the 70's I dare! I am sooo ready for it.

Emily said...

Awesome picture.

And it's so true - I have become such a cold wimp living in Texas. I really can't handle anything below 55 these days.

uhhhh, we'll talk about 110 degrees later. . . (that's why I escape to Utah every summer)

Billie Sue said...

Perspective yes....and not only regarding the weather. Once you reach my age, you realize how everything can be warm and sunny looking at the situation through the perspective in the right angle! It's just practice without knowing it when you're only 3 or 6 or 30!

McNeil Family said...

Oh shirtless Noah. It's the little things that make kids happy... your so right about perspective.

Pays said...

How fun for thee boys and how right you are about perspective. Very true.

Cassondra said...

Olivia,
Can I tell you how much I love you!? Thanks for your thoughtful comments on my blog. I totally miss you! I am feeling okay but wish I could sit with you and chat in one of our living rooms like we used to. I feel like I need that close candid girlfriend time right now before the baby comes.

I'm sorry I missed your call last week. I'm in bed early these days. But i really hope to talk with you soon!
Cassondra