Thursday, April 29, 2010

Bon Voyage

Before we ever started building our house, Rick and I made a plan to use our American Express as much as we could during constuction to rack up the points to use on a vacation as a reward for FINISHING the house. That plan finally came to fruition last week. We left out of San Diego on the 17th for a week-long cruise to the Mexican Riveria. I was SO worried about going on a cruise because if you know me, you know I get motion sickness riding in an elevator. Thankfully, the seas were pretty smooth and I didn't even get sick...until the last day. Even though I spent most of that day sleeping off my motion sickness drugs, we still loved the cruise and would do it again in a heartbeat. The food was AMAZING. The entertainment was FUN. The ship was BEAUTIFUL. The beaches were FANTASTIC. And the time that we were able to spend together relaxing was PRICELESS. We managed to take 114 pictures, but I did narrow it down to these ten. Today it is snowing in Woodland. BOO! I want to be on the beach.

In port in San Diego with our ship: the ms Oosterdam.

Our first stop: Mazatlan. Walking throuh Old Town.


I love how you can buy meat and fake sunglasses in the same market!


Rick showing me how to bodyboard.


Me not quite getting the timing of the waves.


Our second stop: Puerto Vallarta

We rented a jeep and went into the jungle. It was beautiful.


Our third stop: Cabo San Lucas

This is the marina where the rich and famous park their yachts. Seriously, there was one that was too big to park in the marina and had to be in the bay with the cruise ships. It even had a helipad and helicopter. Ah, that would be the life.


Lover's Beach at Cabo San Lucas.

The very tip of the Baja Pennisula.


Rick was one of the brave people to play in the waves. They were HUGE! Here he managed to get away, but he was not so fortunate a couple of times and was literally smashed into the sand. I kept myself busy laying out.


Formal night in the dining room.

We met up with a fun couple from Arizona and spent a lot of time with them, including the formal dinner where Rick talked us all into eating the escargo. It didn't taste to bad at the time, but was terrible later that evening when I threw it back up.










14 comments:

Cassondra said...

Olivia, I am feeling so happy for you right now!! What an AWESOME trip! It looks like you had the most spectacular time and you guys totally deserve it! Your polka dot suit is SO adorable, too!

Paula Kent said...

looks like so much fun. Ethan and I are going on a 5- night next week! Which cruise line were you on?

McNeil Family said...

Although it LOOKS very fun, I notice most of your pics are on dry land. I'm really glad you had fun. But MORE glad you came home!

McNeil Family said...

Come to think of it, flying on a vacation is even a little scary. Really. I am very glad you came back. Please stay home for a while so I don't have to worry about you for a week. It was torture.

Emily said...

Gahhh! So jealous.
What a dream-boat vacation! (without the kiddos). The pictures are spectacular. And okay, Olivia. You. Look. Amazing! I love the picture of you two on the rocks in Cabo San Lucas. Ah, I definitely need a vacation like that. . .


Ten pictures is NOT enough.

Jadi said...

I have to admit I am so Jealous! I would love to go on a cruise with Geoff. It looks like you guys had a lot of fun.
Olivia, you look amazing! Thanks for motivating me to work out. :)

The Richards family said...

Yea for finishing the House!! And yea for a great trip to celebrate!! Glad you two had such a great trip!! And Thank you for the Mexian Vanilla!!

Giselle Rasheta said...

Jealous! Oh man, I love cruises....I'm so glad that you guys went, and that you enjoyed yourself. It looks like you had a great time!!!

Billie Sue said...

Someday I will go on a cruise! It may be without Dad, since he will most likely be out with the ladies--the four-legged ones in the pasture! The cruise looks like it was wonderful and we thoroughly enjoyed our time with the boys. They were good as gold and even ate well! Oh -- and by the way -- it is STILL snowing in Woodland--April 30th!

Chelsea Johnson said...

Update----May 2nd and snowing in Woodland. Kinda ridiculous. This may be the last time I come visit. But back to the cruise...I love all the pictures and your recap of the trip! I am so happy you decided to reward yourself and go! You guys totally deserve it and hopefully it was the perfect way to end the long process of building the house! It looks fun, beautiful and amazing! Wish I could've been a stowaway!

Billie Jo said...

Oh the joy of spending time with your husband after many months of him working into the morning hours on the house. I remember our cruise, I LOVED IT and would go again. But my three children would have to go somewhere.... any ideas? Seriously, I hope you and Rick really enjoyed yourselves. In our case, we haven't really been on a "couples" vacation since.

Foote Family said...

It looks like you had a great time!!! You look fantastic!! We've never been on a cruise, but hope to do it someday. I'm glad to hear that most of your trip was free from motion sickness because I too suffer from it.

Duane and I are headed to Puerto Rico in a few weeks. It will include a lot of scuba diving, which makes me nervous because it's been so long. I'm sure we'll have a great time.

Barbara said...

Hey!!! I am so happy that you found my blog! Love the pics...so wish I was there right now! Your boys are so adorable! You have a beautiful family! Hope all is well with you guys.

Dan said...

Congratulations! I'm glad you took the time together sans kiddos. Those times are precious. Rick, Celeste and I also like escargo, but don't EVER try to cook it yourself. Leave it to the chefs!