Thursday, March 26, 2009

My Luke

I love my Luke. I can't believe how fast he is growing up. In just a couple of weeks he is going to turn 7 and it really doesn't seem like it has been that long since I had my first little boy. He has really enjoyed this school year and all of the fun things that he gets to participate in. He entered the "creative challenge" competition at the school and won first place for his rendition of "Fur Ludwig", a child's version on Fur Elise. He played at the awards ceremony where he got is medal. The truth is that he was the only one in K-1st who entered in the instrument category, so of course he won first place. He was so excited to get his medal and "win" first place that when he got back to his chair he said, "I did it! I got first place." I didn't mention the fact that he was the only person who entered. A few minutes passed and he turned to me and said, "Mom, was there anyone even competing against me?" I told him no and he lost a lot of the excitement of "winning". I reassured him that even if there were people competing against him I was sure that he would win anyway! He just looked at me and said, "Yeah, I would've."

Luke with his medal at the piano.

All of the winners at the awards ceremony.

My little pianist.

Also this year Luke is old enough to sign up for a basketball league. He was super excited because basketball is his favorite sport. Rick signed up to be the coach, and to tell you the truth I think he has had as much fun as Luke. Luke isn't a really aggressive kid, so he doesn't go after the ball that much, and at this age that is what you have to do! He does practice his skills a lot and is pretty good and has scored at least one basket at every game. We have just one more game until the season is over...and one more month until soccer season starts.

Luke is really good on defense and gets a LOT of steals every game. (I am sure there is a fair amount of fouling too, but they don't call it that much.)

15 comments:

Stephanie said...

I can't believe how fast it has gone! Your Luke is a great kid. He's smart, funny, talented....but he aquired all those from his wonderfully smart and talented parents!

I am constantly amazed at how little I am able to get passed Brendan these days, it sounds like Luke is the same way.

Emily said...

What an awesome kid. I can tell by his picture that he is an exceptional pianist and WOULD HAVE won first place no matter what. Congratulations Luke!
The basketball action shots are so so cool.

I wish our kids could hang out more. I can't believe how similar they seem. . .

Giselle Rasheta said...

I have heard Luke play enough to know that there's probably not another K-1st grader who could beat him...that kid has some skills! It looks like he does in basketballl, too, and it looks like there is some pretty good coaching going on - his defensive stance is great!

It's so crazy to me to see pictures of my nephew playing jr basketball in the same gym where I remember playing jr jazz...I SO wished I lived there, or I at least hope I make it back there for my kids to have the same memories that I have. :(

Love you! Thanks for the update...Rajko can't wait to meet you all!

Billie Sue said...

I realize I am a proud Grandma, but guaranteed...Luke would still win even if there were others. I seriously don't know adults who can transpose keys like Luke can. He does work at it very consistently, however, it is one of his "given" talents. As with all true, gritty competitors, it is difficult if you don't win! We're so glad we can share some of Luke's experiences with him. It's fun for us!

Vanessa said...

He had to ask if anyone was competing against him, huh? And you thought you'd gotten away scott free. What a bummer. But we all know he would have gotten first- he's such a smart kid!

Chelsea Johnson said...

Luke definitely is one amazing, smart and talented little boy! I can't believe he is almost 7 years old!

He definitely would've won, regardless HOW many other competitors there were! Hopefully he did well in the spelling bee, too!

Can't wait to see you!

Cassondra said...

Good job, Luke! I wish we could have been there to see him perform. I agree with you - it wouldn't have mattered if he'd had anyone else up against him, results would have been the same. He is such a talented kid!!

I miss you too! We're still in CA for another week. I'm so glad to finally get to spend time at home after 2 years away. I'll post pictures when we get back to LV and you'll be able to see my belly. I'm as big as I was with Brooklyn at 9 months. I don't know if it's because I'm older or it's my 3rd baby or because i wasn't in as good of shape going into this pregnancy, but it's throwing me off - I keep having to remind myself that i have 3 whole months left!! I feel like i could deliver in 1.

I wish you never moved. I seriously miss you! Hugs,
Cassondra

Jadi said...

Tell Luke we are proud of him for winning first place!
I am impressed that he makes at least one basket each game. I don't think Kaden made 1 basket the whole season. He had fun though. :)

Kristie said...

I love that competitive spirt that Luke has. I can't believe how grown up your little boy is getting. Oh by the way happy belated birthday. What's going on? Why didn't Rick post 32 reasons why your the best! He really doesn't need to post it we all know. I hope all is well with you.

McNeil Family said...

Man Luke is one busy kid! How do I live here and not even know about all this stuff? We are so proud of our little Lukey Boy. And we do prefer to call him little Lukey boy, although I'm not sure if 7 year olds are really little... Anyway, we love your smart, athletic, musically talented, and oh so humble Luke too! (And just because this makes us laugh and we think of it every time we think of Luke, "Oh girls.")

Whitney said...

Luke is such a great kids and Nick still asks me all the time if I think he will move back here. Your family is greatly missed here in LV.
Just so you know Cassondra looks great, I wish I love like that.

Foote Family said...

They do grow up fast! I forgot that our kids' birthdays were so close together. My Ryan will be 8 this week and I can't believe it! It is so much fun to watch them grow up.

Pays said...

How much fun for you! I hear that he is very talented on the piano! What a cutie he is! So handsome and polite. What a cute guy! How fun for Rick to be his coach too! He's is growing up way too fast.

Unknown said...

LOL I love this! There is nothing wrong with a shoe-in! The skill competition I competed in last summer was the same way! No one else signed up so I won Gold! Its all about taking initiative!

tortured mormon mom said...

We should have Jacob come up and play soccer with Luke, see who wins in a one-on-one tourney.