Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My boys...my life

Elijah the day he was born.

The "big" boys LOVE Eli, and always want to hold and kiss him.

My best effort at getting all three boys to look at the camera!

Sweet baby just gazing into space.

Hiking on the 4th of July just above Woodland.

My boys are my life. As anyone with kids can attest, your life revolves around taking care of them. This is especially true of a newborn! So now that I have three little boys I feel that my life has become days filled with feeding kids, cleaning up after kids, stopping fights, wiping bums, wiping noses, reading books, singing songs, watching cartoons, disciplining, etc., etc. The amazing thing is that I am totally content with doing this! Elijah has brought a new found love for motherhood for me. I have more work now, but I find more joy in it. I think I was just stuck in a mothering rut before he was born. It helps that he is a good little baby who likes to be held, eat, and sleep. He even sleep really well at night, and in his own little cradle. My other two boys would never sleep in their cradles when they were newborns. This facilitated me sleeping with them on the couch as I held them. Elijah will sleep for 3 hours at a time by himself, thus allowing me a couple of hours of sleep in my own bed! He is on a good little schedule of eating, being awake, and napping...repeating every three hours. I can't believe that it has been almost a month since he was born. It has gone by in a whirlwind. I am still trying to get the three child thing down to a science. My daily goal is to have the three boys and myself fed (breakfast), dressed, teeth brushed, and beds made by noon! Some days we make it, some days we don't. If we have to go anywhere I plan for 2 hours of preparation to get us all ready and feed the baby at least once before we step out of the door. At least I have boys and I don't have to do the hair thing! I feel like I am working so hard just to keep my head above the water, doing the things that HAVE to be done. Minor details like showering (down to every other day), cleaning (done the bathroom only once in the last month!), and clipping my toenails (not since Elijah's birth) go by the wayside. Oh well! I don't know if it is that I already have older children in different stages of their childhood, but I have been savoring Elijah's baby days more than I did the other two. I'm not finding myself longing for him to get older and be able to talk (because then they just sass), walk (because then they just get into everything), eat table food ( ah, the diapers), or anything else that you are eager for your children to do. I am just enjoying my hours of sitting on the couch feeding him, rocking him to sleep, and letting him hold my finger in his tiny little hand. I love my boys, and I love my life.

19 comments:

Foote Family said...

I so glad you are content doing all of those motherly things. I think by number three you kind of have the hang of things and you can enjoy that third one a little more. Your little Eli looks just like his brothers.

Jadi said...

You keep making me baby hungry. :) I am so glad you are happy. I can't believe Eli is already almost a month old. It has gone by fast. I guess we have been so busy unpacking and getting settled that I lost track of time. Your boys are so adorable. I can't wait until we can live closer to you guys so I can be around them again.

Giselle Rasheta said...

You're making me homesick, stop it! I am missing you and your boys already... I am hoping to be coming back next week? (Fingers crossed!) Thank you for your amazing words on mothering...it's so nice to hear you say these things. I'm glad that you're content. I love you, and you deserve all that you have. Talk to you soon!

Billie Sue said...

I have witnessed this attitude as I have watched you mother the boys. I think I told you before, it seems the more you have, the more patience you are blessed with. Eli really is a good baby. He is smiling and responding to voices and he loves the boys loving him. I'm glad I have this opportunity to watch your little family grow!

Billie Jo said...

What joy to sit and read your sweet words. I try endlessly to really "enjoy" each day. You are a true example to me. Thanks for sharing your boys with me. I love them so much!

Cassondra said...

You give me hope, Olivia. It seems so overwhelming to consider a third child - especially being out of the baby thing for so long. But it's encouraging to hear what a wonderful experience it's being for you. I am so happy that you are doing good and enjoying this time with your boys. I'm sure that they can feel your peace and that's so good for them, too. You are a fabulous mother and I'm thankful for your friendship and example!
Love you,
Cassondra

Kati said...

I think I enjoyed my 3rd more than the first two, because I knew she was my last. I just spent SO much time holding, rocking, sitting and loving on her! I enjoyed each stage so much. Having the 3rd really kicked my butt in a lot of ways, but I did enjoy the baby so much more. I am so happy you are doing so well. I just knew you would love that little one so much. I think he looks a lot like Chelsea's little Jack!
And...YOU LOOK FANTASTIC!

Anonymous said...

Who took off the good music and put this crappy stuff on?

Kristie said...

I am so glad that Kristie and I got to see you. Eli is so cute and I am glad that he is so good for you. I've been saying that the third is the charm. Ethan is so good and we really enjoy every minute with him. Hopefully we will see you again next week.

p.s. I don't know what anonymous is saying Pat Benatar rocks!

Chelsea Johnson said...

I am so happy to hear you say all that stuff! I am guilty of wishing Jack's life away, and now when I see Eli and Evan, and feel like I hardly even remember the new baby stage, and it wasn't very long ago!!!! I can't wait to get up there and see and hold him!

I think you're doing well to have all of those things done by noon; I don't do it and I only have myself and Jack to worry about!

Robbin said...

I love how you always make it all sound so dreamy and wonderful.It doesn't feel that wonderful when I finally manage to be ready for the day at noon then have to start over with the lunch shift. And my youngest is 2 and I do have to the hair thing x 3 not including me! I does get easier though. You really have a way with words and making everyday things sound a lot better. I'm guilty of wishing my baby older too and now that we're coming up on her 2nd birthday I just wish I could hit pause and it would all slow down. It's great that you can see and appreciate the little things. I'm going to work on that.

Staci said...

I was so excited to see new pictures of the baby. He is so dang cute and I think it's so great that he has two older brothers to love him. I think it's great that you are all ready by noon... There are days that I am barely ready by the time Steve walks in the door at night. You're doing good!!!

Laura Call said...

Hi Olivia,

I'm Cassondra's friend, Laura. We met a couple years ago when I was visiting Cassondra in Las Vegas. I've seen your blog a couple of times from Cassondra's and wanted to tell you congrats on your new baby boy! All three of your boys are just adorable! I'm still losing the baby weight from having my third 9 months ago... you look like you lost it all in just a few weeks... you look great!

Enjoy your new bundle!

Laura Call

McNeil Family said...

I'm so glad you are enjoying your little boys. I can't count how many times a day I look at Evan and think: how can he change every single day? I'm trying to enjoy all his little baby days but it's so easy to get caught up in the every day details. We are so glad you are enjoying every second of baby Eli.

Marleen said...

You have some very cute boys. I love how they love each other. So cute. Life is grand.

The Cox Family said...

You are such a great mother and an example to all of us. I hope that I have everything all figured out and under control as you do by my third child. I can barely take care of one! You are awesome Olivia!

Jody said...

Your boys are so cute. I'm glad you are enjoying this time. It's great for people like me who struggle getting things done with one child, to hear how content you are with three. It seems far more do-able. Thanks!

Whitney said...

It sounds like you are enjoying every moment with the boys you are such a great mom to your boys. Keep up the good work.

Cassondra said...

Hey Olivia!
I'm missing you! I am sure you're super busy with a new baby and summer time! I hope you get a chance to blog again soon. I'm looking forward to hearing from you! I hope all is well!
Sincerely,
Cassondra

P.S. Do you have picks for the SYTYCD finale??