Tuesday, July 8, 2008

What a weekend!

Ahhhhhh, I love July. I love to celebrate the birthday of our nation, and the arrival of the pioneers to Utah. We had such a great 4th weekend and were able to spend time with our families. We started the 4th with the annual Oakley parade. Last year we had to drive all the way to Boulder City to find a parade, so we are so excited to be home where everything happens so close.


Our family watching the parade.


Elijah, Noah (behind the balloon!), Jack, Luke, and Evan...the McNeil boy cousins.

After the parade we went to the Butikofer's for a HUGE BBQ. Of course Billie Jo out did herself and we were spoiled by the spread she put on for us. We didn't even eat the rest of the day! Feeling a little guilty for the vast amounts of food we consumed, we decided to go for a hike at Knobletts. It was so beautiful and the kids were loving to hike, pick wildflowers, and throw rocks into the pond, but we didn't think about bug spray and were swarmed by mosquitoes. We turned around about half way through the hike because of the bugs. Mosquito bite tally: Luke, Noah, and Eli - 0, Rick - 2, me - 12. I guess mosquitoes are attracted to the sweet smell of breast milk! Oh well, the bites were worth the beautiful scenery.



After getting the kids bathed and in their pajamas we lit firework and did sparklers, while playing patriotic music in the background. Noah was having a great time and kept yelling, "happy birthday" to everyone. We tried to get him to yell, "happy birthday, America!", but he just kept wishing happy birthday to everyone present. The kids loved our little firework party because they were right in the action. I guess you don't have to go to a big firework show to enjoy the spirit of it.



Our saturday was pretty low key, so Elijah decided to spice things up. About 11:00 pm I tried to feed him right before I went to bed, but he was being pretty fussy and wasn't eating very well. I finally gave up and tried to put him to bed, but he was fussing and making gasping sounds so I got him out of bed and decided to hold him until he was feeling better. I sat with him on the couch for a few minutes before I got really worried about him. He was gasping for every breath and couldn't seem to catch his breath. Rick and my mom and dad were also very worried about his labored breathing and convinced me to take him to Heber to the ER. After Rick and my dad gave him a blessing we loaded into the car and dove to the hospital. They hooked him up to a monitor to check is pulse and oxygen saturation level and found that he couldn't keep his oxygen above 90%, so the doctor checked him out, took chest x-rays, and did blood work to see what could be wrong. Everything came back perfectly normal! The doctor was bewildered because nothing seemed to be wrong, but his oxygen levels couldn't stay up. He called to Primary Children's Hospital for an opinion and the doctor there told him to send us down to them. So, after three hours in the ER in Heber we had to head to Salt Lake. Eli and I even got to ride in the ambulance because they had to keep him monitored and keep him on oxygen. After three more hours of observation at Primary Children's the doctors decided that he was fine and we could go home because Elijah's oxygen levels had stayed above 90% for quite a while. We finally got back home about 7:00 am, and were completely exhausted!

Sunday was a very special day because both Eli and Evan (Allen and Patrice's baby) were blessed. We had a big dinner after with all of our families and the day couldn't have been better. Rick and I were surprised that we did as well as we did considering we had no sleep the night before.

Can you believe that we only took ONE picture the whole day, and my eyes were closed! Hello, don't we live in the digital age? How is THIS the only picture we got?

What a weekend. We absolutely love being with our families, celebrating and sharing special times together. Thanks so much to everyone for sharing this time with us.

18 comments:

Chelsea Johnson said...

Love it! It was a great weekend! Thanks for spending time with us.

Brie said...

You look so good after just having a baby. Congrats! On that new baby he is absolutely adorable. I love all the green around you, I wish sometimes we were some where that was so beautiful and less desert. I miss seeing you and I hope everything is going well. Let me know when you guys are in Vegas to visit the girls would love to see the boys.

Foote Family said...

I love how you were all decked out for the holiday. You look fantastic!! Did you really just have a baby?!

The Richards family said...

I love your cute family!!! You look great.

Giselle Rasheta said...

What fun pictures... all the red white and blue really makes it stand out! And you look so beautiful in the picture with Rick and Eli - new outfit? I wish so badly I could have been there :( I already miss you all... you better make sure you post plenty of pictures of your boys so I don't miss anything!

Stephanie said...

ok, so I am totally emotional or something tonight, but seriously the picture with you, Rick, and Eli is seriously sweet (I am crying)-it's amazing that the third can feel just like the first all over again huh? (but then not!) You look amazing my dear, but I don't expect anything less from you!

Kristie said...

Congratulations on the baby blessing I really wish we would have been able to make it. I have plans to see you guys when we come home over the 24th so please say you will be around. I am excited to meet Eli and introduce you to Ethan. Maybe they will be best second cousins.

Your cuz,
Addison

Cassondra said...

YAY!!!! I am so happy to see more pictures! First off, Olivia, you look AMAZING! You seriously do not look like you ever had a baby! You look great! Secondly, your family pictures are beautiful. Your kiddos are so dang handsome! And I love when people wear read, white, and blue on the 4th. It is so patriotic and festive!

It looks like you had a really fun weekend. I wish we could have come for the blessing. (I love your outfit in that picture, too.) I really miss you guys!

Jadi said...

It looks like you guys had a fun 4th of July. I am glad Eli turned out to be OK. That would have been scary! I am sad we missed Eli's blessing but glad it turned out well.

Laura said...

I can't believe that I only saw you guys for a bried moment over the the 4th! Looks like you had a great time though! I LOVE the red, white and blue outfits!! Glad to hear the everything is okay with Eli, that's scary!

The Cox Family said...

It was so fun seeing you guys, (even if it was only for a minute), and being able to be there for Eli's blessing. Rick did a great job and Eli looked very handsome in his outfit. You also looked AMAZING for just barely having a baby! You don't even look like you were pregnant. I am so sorry that you guys were up all night. I actually was scheduled to work that night until one o'clock, but left early. I am glad that everything turned out ok!

Vicki said...

I'm glad Eli is ok. Thanks for the invite to the blessing. Allan and Sarah didn't get home until Sunday at midnight, and I didn't want to come alone. But your one picture is beautiful!

Marleen said...

What a cool weekend. Wish the camera clicking could have been more but I'm anticipating more picks of your baby soon I hope.

briggsbunch said...

It was so fun to see you guys. Your little guy is so cute. We need to get together after I have the baby and let the kids play and have a bbq or something.

Whitney said...

You look great and your family is so cute. Looks like you guys had a great 4th. We miss ya guys so much.

Billie Sue said...

Wonderful post! I love the 4th as well, and can remember for so many years that we celebrated it without your Dad, so it is great for me to have my whole family around to celebrate. I get so emotional over little things, like watching the kids do sparklers and watching the kids in the parade. Of course, it's not just the 4th that I love -- it's seeing my little grandbabies blessed and having them all together for a celebration afterwards. I simply love life and love my family!

Billie Jo said...

Sorry about the disappearing message. I loved having the weekend of endless celebration! You look amazing and I really can't believe that Eli is such a miracle little baby. I really appreciate all the music and fireworks that you guys brought. I am sure there is no way we would have had the half the fun without the GUNNS!

Traci said...

Hi Olivia, I hope you don’t mind me checking out your Blog! Your family is so cute and congratulations on your new addition!!! It must be so fun to have little Elijah and Evan so close in age. Well, you look beautiful and happy. I’m so glad I found your blog. :0)
Traci Hermann (Bridge)