Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Christmas Eve

The beautiful table and tree at set for Christmas dinner.

For our family's number Luke played jingle bells while Rick and I sang and Noah jingled his bell.

The children's musical number was well rehearsed. They started practicing about 6:30 am and didn't stop all day. Tess was the conductor, Ellie the vocal soloist, and Luke provided the music with his saxophone. There were darling and had worked so hard on their two numbers.


Noah with his own little nativity that Grandma had given him.

All the grandchildren dressed in their new Christmas pajamas.

I know that it is now 2008, but you all know that I am always behind on my blogging. Because I have so much to say and show about Christmas I thought that I would take it in stages. Since my last post "Gunnerson Christmas as the Cabin" we have moved on to Christmas Eve. Long ago, when I was in high school, my mom started our McNeil Christmas eve dinner and show. (Anyone who know my mom know that a "show" must be included with everything!) Back then it was just our little family of parents and kids. Now it has grown to Grandparents, kids and their spouses, and grandchildren! We still have our wonderful candlelight dinner and program and I love that this tradition survived our teenage years and the many other family traditions that have married into our family. This year we had shrimp, prime rib, garlic mashed potatoes, creamed corn, and fresh baked rolls. Okay, that is what everyone else had. I had potatoes, corn, and rolls. Every few years I have to skip the main part of the meal because I am the only crazy person in the world who REALLY dislikes shrimp and red meat. I love my mom for rotating our menu so that most of the time I can stuff myself along with everyone else. Noah particularly loved the prime rib and ate a very large amount for a two year old. In fact he really did make himself sick with prime rib. About an hour after I put him in bed I heard him fussing and found him in his crib lying in a pool of throw-up! Too much of a good thing. With the kids in bed the adults were able to finish wrapping last minute presents and get everything set out. In the process we watched a little of Midnight Mass on T.V., which led to a two hour discussion (sometimes heated) about just how evil the Catholic church is or isn't. Anyway, about 2:30 we I finally made it to bed (while Rick and my dad were still in "discussion") so Santa could come! Next year I will remember not to turn on Mass so we can get to bed a little earlier.

11 comments:

Chelsea Johnson said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting pictures of Christmas Eve at Mom and Dads. Its hard for me to miss it every other year, but at least I get to see what it looked like and look forward to next year! The video didn't work....I have tried to put a video on mine a few times and it never works either, so we'll have to figure that out somehow. I am loving that you are at Mom's with the internet because you are posting and commenting so frequently. I guess I better now get too used to it. Love ya! Hope you're feeling great--can't wait to find out what that little baby is!

Billie Sue said...

I love the pictures of my beautiful table (thank you Boys) and tree! You must load that on my computer so I have a copy of it as well. Thank you for enjoying our Christmas time together. I have loved every minute of it too. I love how hard the kids worked on their talent/presentation and how excited they were for it. Maybe next year I will have you tell me what to serve for diner so you can enjoy the meal too! I love you all so much. Love - Mom

Laura said...

It was good to get to see you. Your boys are getting so big. I had a conversation with Luke at the party and I about died, and little Noah is so cute! Can't wait to find out what this next one is going to be!

Marleen said...

What a pretty set up. I love the stockings hung on the chairs. Oneday we will have the big of a table to sit the family at. Again, so pretty.

Giselle Rasheta said...

Wow, the living room looks enormous with that table and tree set up in it! Mom's house is always so beautiful for the holidays. I wish I could have been there Christmas Eve, but don't worry, Noah and I will be brushing up our rendition of, uh, well, something before next year when we get to spend it there! It was awesome to have you in town for so long...keep those boys safe. Love you lots!

The Cox Family said...

I am glad you guys had a nice Christmas Eve. I wish I could have seen the "Christmas Show". You need to start recording the McNeil Family shows so we can all watch them!

Jadi said...

It looks like you guys had a fun Christmas Eve. Your mom is really good at setting the right atmosphere! I loved the pajama picture.

McNeil Family said...

HA HA HA...you are back in Las Vegas with us. Although I think I was able to see my boys more up there than I do here. Thanks for bringing the boys to the office the other day, they better come to our house soon if they want to see the Christmas forest (yes, it is still up).

Staci said...

I felt so bad that you guys got sick over New Years... That is horrible, and then to have to deal with it by yourself, while being pregnant... You are my hero... So when do you find out what the baby is? Or do you keep it a delivery surprise???

Anonymous said...

Olivia, I am pretty sure that you can find out what you are having by now. SO WHAT IS IT? I find out next week and you are ahead of me... I promise I won't tell Billie Jo...

Chelsea Johnson said...

This is getting ridiculous!