Thursday, August 4, 2011

Liv's Beautiful Day


Before July comes to a close (shhhhh, I know it's over! My life just runs a few days behind schedule), I wanted to post pictues of Liv's beautiful blessing day. She was blessed on the 3rd of July, and we were so lucky to have our families with us. Even though Lee and Joan live across the world, they have been able to make it to Luke's baptism and Liv's blessing. I am so grateful that they did. It wouldn't be the same without them.

Isn't Liv's dress beautiful? If you can believe it, it was made by her Grandmother. When I first stated thinking about Liv's blessing I decided I would just ask Billie Jo if I could borrow the blessing dress she has. But when Evie's blessing rolled around, Billie Jo couldn't find the dress and ended up borrowing a friend's. I looked around online to see what I could find as far as blessing dresses go, and was shocked to see that they were SOOOO expensive. I almost just sucked it up and bought one, considering my beautiful baby deserved one, but then I remembered what an excellent seamstress my mother-in-law is. I asked Rick if he thought she would be willing to do it and if he would be willing to ask her! They both agreed. With nothing more than a request for a blessing dress, Joan found a pattern and got to work. The dress called for lace over almost the entire dress, and apparently lace is a rarity in the Philippines. When she wasn't able to come across any lace, Joan decided to make her own. Yes, she crocheted the entire lace part! The dress turned out unbelievably beautiful. I had tears in my eyes when they brought it out the day before the blessing. What an amazing talent. I cannot think of anything that could make a special day even more special. Thanks to those who came to share it with us, and thanks to Grandma Gunnerson for the heirloom.

9 comments:

Jadi said...

Liv looked so pretty in the dress. Joan is an amazing seamstress. I wish we could have been there for her blessing.

Billie Jo said...

It was a great day and an even more gorgeous dress. You could not have asked for something more beautiful and the sentimental factor is beyond anything you could have found on your own. I love that Liv and Evie will be so close and I hope they have many magical moment of beautiful gowns!

Billie Sue said...

Liv's day was perfect! When I saw the dress...I cried! What an heirloom for a little girl to have and cherish--knowing her grandma made it special for her. Liv is beautiful and so is the dress and her Mom made the day beautiful for her with all her work!

Stephanie said...

What an amazing blessing-both the girl and the dress! You look beautiful Olivia!

The Cox Family said...

Wow that is such an incredible dress. I can't believe she made her own lace! Blessing dresses really are so expensive. I still can't believe how much I spent on Sophie's dress. You are one lucky girl to have such an amazing mother-in-law!

Cassondra said...

Oh my word, how gorgeous are you, Olivia!?! You look amazing! And Liv is darling in her dress. There are not words to describe how amazed I am by your mother-in-law! What an incredible talent and priceless gift! I am so glad that you had that beautiful dress to bless your beautiful daughter! Wish we could have been there, too!

Emily said...

wow. wow. wow. What more can I say? That dress (and the story behind it - making her own lace??) is amazing. What an absolutely beautiful little girl and a stunning mother! (you look awesome, Olivia)

congratulations on such a special day!

Giselle Rasheta said...

She is such a beautiful and special baby girl, and she deserved that amazing dress. I don't even have a daughter but I'm already jealous of that dress!! :)

I love your little one. I'm so happy for you that she has become such a sweet and happy little gift. Love her love her love her. And you of course!

Aimee and Cole said...

That is so special. I love that day by the way ;) She looks beautiful in her white dress.