Tuesday, February 8, 2011

For the love of the game

To say that Luke loves basketball would be an understatement. It would be like saying the Sahara Dessert is sandy, or Antarctica is cold. Luke LOVES basketball. He plays everyday, watches every game on T.V. (no matter who is playing), and even chooses to read books about it. He keeps his own stats based on how many shots he hits from various points around the basket, and has even started to "coach" Noah. Surprisingly, the coaching has happened without too many fights. LUKE LOVES BASKETBALL! The last two years he has done the rec. center basketball team, but this year he was finally old enough for Jr. Jazz. Rick was equally excited and volunteered to coach the team.

After the first practice it was obvious that Luke/Rick's team was not the most talented group of 8 and 9 year olds, but they both came home from practice excited for the first game. They lost the first game by 15, and the second, and the third. They only lost the 4th game by 2 points, and probably could have won if Luke wasn't out with Strep Throat. The lost last week by double digits AGAIN. While our team struggles with dribbling and passing to OUR OWN TEAM, other teams can shoot 15 foot jump shots, and have ACTUAL plays! I'm not sure how the parents of the other boys feel when I am constantly yelling "Arms up, Johnny*." "Timmy*, find your man!" "Wrong basket, Billy*." I do it out of love. Really I do. I'm trying to help.
*Names have been changed

While all of these substantial losses has diminished Luke's love of Saturday morning games, it hasn't dampened his love for the game of basketball as a whole. He can't wait until spring when the snow is gone and he can practice on our outdoor hoop. (It's NBA issue. If you know Rick you know why we couldn't go with the after Thanksgiving $99 special that I wanted to get. No, ours is full size backboard, breakaway rim, cemented into the ground, adjustable height, and has outdoor lights!)

I know that when the organizers of the Jr. Jazz teams were forming each team they had no way of knowing that they were putting together possibly the worst team in the history of Jr. Jazz, but it happened. Thankfully the season is more than halfway over, and next year brings a new team. I decided that I am going to personally deliver our team roster to the organizers and suggest that this group of boys NEVER be put together again!


Noah and Elijah aren't too keen on sitting and watching the game. They love to run around, "get lost" finding the drinking fountain, and make funny faces for me to take pictures of.

9 comments:

Billie Sue said...

It is every bit as funny reading about it as it is when you tell about it! I am just really hoping that none of the parents of Luke's teammates read this blog -- ouch! Love Noah and Eli's faces. It doesn't take much to entertain them. I am impressed that Luke's sportsmanship has improved! Great post.

Emily said...

I totally remember Jr. Jazz. . .

I cracked up reading this. Poor Luke - it's really such a bummer. I don't know why I'm laughing. But I'm glad he still loves basketball despite being the only one on his team who knows how to play.

Those boys are growing up too fast!

Giselle Rasheta said...

Hahaha. It's so sad but it's still funny! I've been on some doozies of organized sports teams before (soccer, ugh), but I've lucked out at times, too, with the pick of the players and a great coach. I suggest you do turn in the list as a "never put these kids together again" suggestion, though. :)

And yes, I'm sure the other parents love you yelling them at their kids from the sidelines. Haha.

Billie Jo said...

This is probably why i don't have boys because at this point I would have already gone to the organizing commitee and taken each of the other team's line up with actual video footage and asked them what in the world they were thinking as they "created" the teams. Can't tell me it is a fate that the ******* cousins are on the same team. You are right though, maybe this was a lesson for Luke to learn on sportsmanship and the concept of "winning." Luke will continue to improve and scure his spot in the NBA, and I will come and yell at the other players as well. I mean "coach" from the sidelines!

Unknown said...

This gave me a little chuckle Olivia. I think Luke is a really great little player. I walked out of Saturday's game thinking to myself how entertaining Jr Jazz really is. It is all the Gines family can do to sit there "quietly". We do a lot of mumbling to each other with an occasional yell out to all the other kids on the court. Brody like Luke LOVES basketball. I think they must sit and talk stats and who is the best team in the NBA. I am glad they have each other to LOVE basketball together.

Chelsea Johnson said...

I can't wait to see Luke in the NBA!!! This losing streak they've been on can only help him have more tenacity and drive to become better! Here's to hoping for a "W" sometime this season!

McNeil Family said...

When our faux playroom was set up in the basement I happened to walk by Luke doing some kind of jumping shot... I was a little frazzled that day, but in the back of my mind I thought: should he be able to shoot and look like a high school player at this age? I'm sure this will be good for Luke in the long run. There will be plenty of winning teams to play on. Maybe the Jazz!

Jadi said...

I have been having lots of blog issues. I haven't been able to get your blog to pull up until now. I had to switch to firefox. I love how much Luke loves basketball. Your boys are all so cute. :)

I have been dying to find out what Billie Joe had, so if you will share the news I would love it!

Jadi said...

After leaving my comment I realized I could check Billie Jo's blog. :) Congratulations on your new niece!!