Thursday, December 16, 2010

The suspense is over

The first two times that I was pregnant, we waited until the baby was born to find out if it was a boy or girl. The third time around Rick finally talked me into finding out what we were going to have at our 20 week appointment. As you know, it wasn't quite what I wanted to hear and I spent the next week crying at random moments thinking about having a third boy. At that time I SWORE I would not find out again. But I guess I am just getting impatient in my old age because I decided I could NOT wait until May to see if we were having a family of boys or if we would finally get a daughter.

On Tuesday Rick met me at the hospital after work to have the ultrasound. The woman doing the ultrasound for us is actually a friend of Chelsea's and had already been warned that I would probably cry one way or the other, and I did. I couldn't keep the tears from coming as I laid there and she told us we are having a girl! The rest of the ultrasound seemed surreal as she kept saying "her heart", "her spine", "she is opening and closing her mouth". I wasn't quite use to referring to a child of mine as "her" and "she". It's hard to tell if Rick was happy as I was. He is pretty good at keeping his emotions hidden. The boys were VERY excited. They have each been wanting a little sister since the day we told them I was having a baby.

Now the reality of having a girl is setting in. I don't have ONE pink thing in my entire baby ensemble! Not a pink outfit. Not a pink blanket. Not one little doll. The best I can do is one red and blue blanket with Noah's Ark on it. I haven't worried about it too much in the past because Billie Jo has always assured me that she could outfit any girl from birth to age 10. But now that we will be having babies just 2 1/2 months apart, the girl stuff may already be in use when I need it. While I have always looked forward to dressing a darling little girl and making sure her hair is done with coordinating accessories, I now realize that they days of getting all of my kids ready and out the door in 5 minutes is past.

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't be more excited. I'm just realizing that life will never be the same. But, I'm pretty sure that's just how I want it.

21 comments:

The Richards family said...

Yay! You Will get your little girl, and think how lucky she will be with all those big brothers to protect her!! I am so happy for you!! (And not to burst your bubble but keep your boy clothes just in case haha, I dont think that happens to often I think you are safe)

Amy said...

Yay!!!! We are so excited for you guys! Oh, and Rick, I'm sure he's just bursting inside with excitement - - just like Tommy when he found out he was having another girl. Hope you guys have a great Christmas! We miss you!

Emily said...

I KNEW IT!!!!!

I am so excited for you - having a girl after three boys is the BEST way to have a girl. You are in for such a (life-changing) treat!

What wonderful news. . .

I'm so glad you didn't wait until May - now think of all the planning (and buying- ha!) you can do between now and then!

Robbin said...

I totally got chills when I read it was a girl! Yay for you guys! Can you imagine having 3 older brothers to watch over you all your life? That's awesome! Now do you think Billie Jo will follow the McNeil trend and switch over to the blue side of things? Congrats to you all!

Stephanie said...

Great Olivia…now I'm crying! I remember the days after you found out Eli was a boy! I am so excited for you!!!! Dang…Still crying! :) Hugs!♥

Paula Kent said...

Congratulations!!! We are so excited for you! We miss you guys! I wish I was there to give you a hug!

Billie Sue said...

Well, I am definitely excited for you! You deserve a little girl...to fix and fuss over. I am sure you can do some shopping between now and then. Again, you will know about Billie Jo by then and know if she will supply you, or if you will supply her! I can just see a little round faced, button nosed, pretty little girl--whatever her name turns out to be and I am definitely happy for her Mommie. As far as Rick goes, I think he is excited, but hates any of us to know it!

Cassondra said...

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!! Being as how I TOTALLY know how you must be feeling right now, I am overwhelmed with happiness for you! You have wanted this for SO long and she is finally coming! A DAUGHTER!!! Are you kidding!??! YAHOOO!!!! Every mother needs a daughter! She is going to be so spoiled --fun!!! I need to call you because I can't express myself in written words on a blog. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!
A GGGIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLL!!
Congratulations a thousand times!

I love you,
Cassondra

Billie Jo said...

I am so happy for you TRUST ME! I am sure that if the stars aline perfectly and our sweet baby is a girl there are still enough clothes for the two of them TRUST ME! A part of me wishes you waited until May however I think the tears of joy in the ultrasound room were better than what any other tears may have been. And finally TRUST ME you will be getting up earlier to get "her" hair done. No more wash cloth and your done routine. Now on to her name...It may take 5 months to figure it out!

Vanessa said...

Congrats! It may take a little longer to get your little girl ready, but she will melt your heart like you have never known. I love watching our daugther interact with her Daddy. It's amazing. So excited for you!

Jadi said...

I was so EXCITED when Geoff told me the news. I have been hoping for a girl. I love that you and Haylee are both having girls. It will be fun for them to grow up together. :)

Girls are so FUN! You will LOVE it!!!

The Cox Family said...

Ok, where the heck have I been? I didn't even know you were pregnant!!! But that is the greatest news in the world. When I started reading your post I was getting so nervous that you were going to say it was a boy again! I am so happy for you! You DEFINITELY deserve a little girl!

Staci said...

I am so excited for you... Had no idea you were pregnant... You will have plenty of time to shop and they have the cutest things for girls...

Giselle Rasheta said...

Yay! Now I have another reason to sew, sew, sew. If we get into this house, I am definitely giving myself a sewing room - so no worries about the lack of girl stuff! So excited for you and for your boys who wanted a little sister~!

Chelsea Johnson said...

WooHoo!!!! I cannot wait for this baby girl to be here!! I only wish I could've been the one to scan you. You will be an amazing mom to a daughter and she is so lucky to have 3 big brothers!!!!

Barbara said...

Oh that is so exciting! I am so happy for you! You are going to have so much fun with a little girl to dress up and paint nails with. She is definitely going to be taken care of with three brothers :) She is definitely going to be the princess and so gorgeous like her Mommy! congrats again!

Whitney said...

Congrats!!!!!! BUT IT IS NOT FAIR!!! I WANT A GIRL TOO...i am just a little jealous!! but i am so happy for you!!

The Crystal's said...

Just a fair warning... She will be so spoiled. And there is nothing in the world like a daughter after 3 sons. Enjoy every minute.

Vicki said...

SOOOOOOO happy for you!!!

Foote Family said...

Congrats!!! I didn't even know you were pregnant! Girls are very fun to dress and I'm so glad that after three boys you will have a little girl!

Dan said...

I didn't know that Gunnerson boys could make little girls! This will be the first one I've ever met...