Monday, October 25, 2010

Fall harvest









So, I have this list. It's a mental list. A list of all the things I need to do in my life to be the best wife/mother/homemaker/woman that I can be. It's a lengthy list. I am pretty sure that I fail at most of the things on the list. I'm working on it. (Not necessarily doing the things on the list, but feeling like I am okay when I don't do everything on the "list") You know what I mean, you are are all wives/mothers/homemakers/women.

One of the things on the list is canning my own food. I grew up seeing my mother do it every fall. I have been the beneficiary of my mother-in-law's canning work. It just seems like something every good homemaker does. I've never done it. I have actually given away dozens and dozens of bottles over the years as we have moved across the country thinking I would never do it.

This was the year that I finally crossed one thing off the list. I BOTTLED MY OWN FOOD!

It all started with apples. We were able to pick a bunch of apples from a neighbor, and after making apple pie, apple crisp, and freezing apple pie filling, I still had a lot left over. So I made applesauce. I was so proud of my first canning experience.

I was so inspired by the applesauce that I did 1/2 a bushel of peaches, and enough salsa to fill 4 quart jars! Not too shabby for my first time canning. It took a lot of time and made a huge mess in my kitchen, but helped me become more of the person I feel I should be. I guess it was worth it!

10 comments:

Billie Sue said...

Good job! I am so proud of you -- and you are right -- we ALL feel like we need to be doing these wonderful things ALL the time -- never wasting a moment's time or food (lest someone in Africa starve). Seriously, it really is a good/fulfilling feeling to know there are bottles of food on the shelf and if something happened--heaven forbid--your family would not starve! If I had known it was your first time of bottling anything, I could have offered a little help! You jumped into it and acted like you knew just what you were doing, so I thought you were an old pro! Your bottles look really nice!

Cassondra said...

SOOOO AWESOME!! Good for you!! I totally have a "list" too and don't have a lot of hope of ever accomplishing all the things on it, but I agree with you that it is SUCH a great feeling when you check something off! And canning is HUGE! Your canned food looks super yummy! Yay for you! I feel so happy about this accomplishment in your life! You're amazing!

P.S. LOVED seeing you last weekend!!!

Emily said...

YUM! I am so impressed. so so so impressed. I wouldn't know how to can anything - even if my life depended on it. But mmmm I love homemade applesauce. . . and salsa. My roommate at BYU canned salsa one year - Best salsa I've ever had. I've been dreaming about it ever since

You are amazing, Olivia. I only have one thing on my wife/homemaker/mommy list. . . and it's to be you.


I love the pic of Noah scaling the apple tree - That NOAH!!

Stephanie said...

Good job! It is so fun to see all of those bottles on your shelf and think...yep I did that! Don't worry so much about that list...you'll eventually get there. Worry more about the moment you are in! You're the wife/mom/woman that god wants you to be right now. Cherish it! :)

Billie Jo said...

I gave up on my list! It is all I can pretty much do now to keep up on the laundry and the homework regime. I would love to do more of my own bottling as well but I will stick with what I have and load up on Top Ramen since my family wants nothing else in food storage! Next on my list should be learning how to sew. Buttons are my forte!

Jadi said...

I am so impressed!! That is one thing that I have always wanted to do. It overwhelms me to just think about it.

I also have a long list of things I want to do or think I should do.

The pictures of the boys are cute!! Noah has grown a lot lately.

Giselle Rasheta said...

Yeah...you are heads and tails about me on the "homemaker of the year" award list. I am proud of myself if I get dinner made more than 1x per week or if I keep my house clean for more than 2 days at a time. Amazing amazing amazing! I'm so glad I have been the beneficiary of your apples and peaches with delicious crisps and cobblers. Great job Liv!

McNeil Family said...

Oh Olivia, what could possibly be on your list that you haven't done? You are an amazing mother/wife/homemaker. It sounds like you are being too hard on yourself. I am always in awe of your cleaning lists, your homemade bread and your meal planning. Oh and you have 3 kids and work!!! Seriously? You inspired me with the apple sauce this year. However I became discouraged when I got two jars from sooo much work! Good job for you!

Chelsea Johnson said...

I am so proud of you and happy for you! We always are talking about our 'lists' and I'm so glad you accomplished something! Now that I am stress free(sorta)- I've got to take your lead and start accomplishing things in my life!

Foote Family said...

Great job!! I tried making salsa this year too. I froze some of it and canned some. I also made strawberry jam. My younger sister cans everything and even makes her own yogurt and cheese. I wish she lived closer, so she could teach me a thing or two.