Thursday, July 29, 2010

Luke

What can I say about Luke that I haven't already said? He is a great kid. I am one lucky parent to have him. With all the busyness of life, it seems that I have neglected to post so many things that he has been doing. So here are some things that my oldest son has been up to...

Luke got a guitar for his birthday, and has been taking a few lessons from "Bishop Rod". He loves to go up the road to "Bishop Rod's" house for an hour of guitar, singing, and talking. They have such a good relationship and I'll bet Luke is one of the only kids around who has a 70 year-old man for a best friend. One day when I picked him up from guitar lessons, he asked if he could have a sleep-over at "Bishop Rod's". Um, maybe not a sleep-over, but you can go visit anytime you want!

What a special day! Luke got to be baptized by his dad in May. He was so excited for weeks before the big day. We were so lucky to have our families there to support us, even Grandma and Grandpa Gunnerson came all the way from Manilla! He is such a good boy and very thoughtful and honest that when the Bishop asked him if he could "endure to the end" (always try to be good) he answered..."maybe." It was so cute to know that he was actually thinking about it and not just giving an automatic answer.

Now that he is 8, Luke is SO happy to be a Cub Scout. He went to his first pack meeting with Grandpa McNeil while Rick and I were on our cruise. By the very next pack meeting he earned his Bobcat. This is us all decked out in our face paint after the meeting. He loves to do his scout stuff and is always bringing me his book to sign off on something!

At one pack meeting he even got to lead the scouts in the flag ceremony! What an honor.

Luke was a telegram delivery man in the 2nd grade play. He came home all excited about having such a long speaking part. He hurried and memorized it and did a great job during the play. Here he is (as usually) with best friend Brody. They had the BEST school year being in the same class. We will see how they do next year without each other.

The last day of school was an awards assembly (which is painfully long, hot, and boring). Here he is with all this spelling awards. He got second in his class, second in his grade, and fourth in the whole school! He obviously does NOT take after me when it comes to spelling.

Just four more weeks until school starts again. It seems crazy that Luke is going to be in third grade! He is growing up too fast, but it is fun to see him get more mature and interested in more things. He is OBSESSED with sports and seriously thinks he is going to play in the NBA when he grows up. I go along with it, because I remember an 8 year-old girl who prayed to grow up to be Miss Universe!

11 comments:

Jadi said...

I LOVED reading about what Luke has been up to. He is getting so big! I wish we could have been at his baptism. Now lets see what Noah and Eli have been up to! :)

Billie Jo said...

What a great kid to have. Luke has certainly set the bar high for his siblings. I love to see him in church getting into singing and answering questions. He is so smart and so willing to share all he knows. You have done a great job! Keep up the good work. Third grade will be wonderful with Mrs. Mitchell, it was by far Ellie's best year!

Emily said...

I LOVE LUKE!!!

He is such an awesome kid - so smart. so good. so cute. I especially love the guitar picture (and that he plays with Rod). What can I say? He must have an AMAZING mother!!!!!

Chelsea Johnson said...

We love that Luke boy! He has always been so smart and inquisitive and it will definitely pay off for him in life, along with his determination and tenacity to win! You should be one proud Mom!

Giselle Rasheta said...

Luke really is such a good and special kid. I'm so glad that Rajko will have such a good example in his big boy cousin. We love Luke and are so proud of everything he has been up to!

Billie Sue said...

Well, what can Grandma say? Luke is a wonderful young man! I love seeing all the amazing things he is capable of doing. He is also a pretty darn good older brother--especially to Eli--he is quite protective and helpful! When Eli fell in the driveway tonight, Luke ran right over to him (lifted him up just like Rick would by one arm!), but encouraged him that he was ok and tried to ease the pain. He is definitely a boy for a Grandma to be proud of!

Stephanie said...

I'm so sad that we missed seeing you! You're Luke is such a handsome kid. I'm sending Emma after him! :) Whew! He's had a lot going on as well! Great job Luke!

Cassondra said...

I loved reading updates about Luke, (Brooklyn reading diligently over my shoulder :) What a wonderful experience to have your first child baptized! I wish we could have been there! Thanks for the email. I've been out of town but I'll respond soon. I'm going to try to update my blog today too, we'll see.

McNeil Family said...

Pretty darn good kid that Lukey. I can see his Rick Gunnerson half-smile head shake agreeing with me right now.

Foote Family said...

Congrats on Luke's baptism! They do grow up fast! My oldest is starting middle school this year!

Anonymous said...

Be careful with your son spending time with an older man alone. Even if this is someone you "know" you can trust, you just never really know. I've watched a couple of different shows lately that warned against allowing your child to spend time over at someone elses home, especially if they developed a relationship with an adult. People were coming forward and speaking up about how they were sexually ubused as kids when their parents thought they had a trustworthy relationship with someone who was like part of the family. I'm not trying to scare you, just want you to be careful and make sure your son is safe.