Sunday, August 30, 2009

Firsts

This month has seen a lot of FIRSTS for our little family...


The First First,

I started work at a new job. I actually had to come home from our Bear Lake vacation for a couple of days to start teaching yoga and dance at a school in Oakley. The Oakley School is a private high school for kids who for whatever reason were no longer able to stay at their last school. I work three morning a week teaching two periods. For the most part I have enjoyed it, but lets just say that teaching high school aged boys ballet is a little intimidating. Thankfully the last day of our ballet unit is tomorrow!



The Second First,

Rick started work at a new job. Rick left the law firm in Park City in May and has been working on his own all summer. Things were really starting to fall into place with the Law Offices of Richard Gunnerson, but when he got offered a job in Salt Lake we felt like we had to accept. Literally we HAD to accept. Just try getting a mortgage while being self-employed. So his own office is on hold for a while until we finish the house and finialize our financing. He actually likes his new job quite a bit, but just today he was lamenting how terrible it is to have a real job working for someone else. It really has put a cramp on his house building time.



The Third First,

With me working in the mornings, Noah and Elijah have started going to the babysitters house a few hours a week. I feel lucky because I was hoping to find a mom who stays at home with her kids and was looking to make a little money, and that is just what I found! Her house is on the way to Oakley and the boys have had fun there so far.



The Fourth (and most exciting) First,

Luke started 2nd grade last week! He has a teacher who was teaching 2nd grade when I was in 2nd grade, and he totally loves her. I was a little worried about her being "old" but obviously teaching kids has kept her young in spirit. He already has some friends in his class, in fact we have already had our first sleepover of the year. Apparently Luke and his firend were planning it all week because on Friday afternoon the friend's mom called me and said that her son's bags were all packed to come! Luke reports that he has played basketball every recess, that school lunch makes "the best meat" for tacos, and his teacher REALLY likes to read to the class. So far no mentions of girls or kissing.


So handsome, and big! When did that happen?

Walking to the bus stop.

When the door to the bus opened I saw the meanest bus driver E.V.E.R. Apparenty he was just filling in for the real route driver. Whew.


The Fifth First,

Elijah got his first haircut yesterday. For some reason it always takes someone commenting about how long my baby's hair is to make me think that it is finally time for a trim. I keep wishing that one of my children is going to inherit Rick's family's curls so I let it grow and grow, but instead of curling it just starts looking shaggy. Rick is usually the barber in our family, but he was working on the house when I wanted the cut done. So I got out the scissors and had a go at it! Elijah was NOT the best client I have ever worked with, and what should've taken 2 minutes to trim turned into 20. It seemd that just when I would get his fine little hair inbetween my fingers to trim he would turn his head and I would loose it. I tried to divert his attention with lots of toys, but she thought it was fun to see how many times he could stand up and sit down. ARGH! I finally finished, and well it could be worse. It could be a lot better too, but it could be worse. No matter what his hair looks like I think he is such a cutie!

Before

After

What an exciting August. Bring on September, we're ready.




11 comments:

Kati said...

Sounds like a fun job for you! I bet you do such a great job. Although, teaching ballet to HS boys would be VERY intimidating! Wow!
Our stake had youth conference up in Hanna this weekend and I saw your new home as we were driving up there. It is looking Amazing! So excited for you guys. It will be so nice when it is done!
Your baby is getting so big. His haircut looks great. Good to hear Luke is enjoying 2nd grade. If you check out my blog...you will see that my little second grader had is first kiss on Thursday! Crazy kids.

Chelsea Johnson said...

What exciting "firsts" you have all been having! Max was telling me a little about Rick's job, and it sounds...exciting! I'm glad you are enjoying your new job and that its working out for the boys to go to the babysitter. As guilty as I feel about the daycare thing, sometimes I like that Jack goes somewhere and socializes and has to take instruction and discipline for his actions from someone else. I think it makes some transitions a little easier on him. Luke definitely is one handsome 2nd grader! He looks so grown up in those pics and like such a cutie. I'm so glad he is already making friends and planning sleepovers, even if he didn't tell you! And Eli's hair is too cute. I, too, give Jack his hair cuts, and just yesterday we had our 345th one. I think it was the first time he actually held pretty still for me, so I guess I will say good luck and you can look forward to a few years down the road when he will be good while doing it!!!! Can't wait to see you guys and the progress on the house!

Cassondra said...

I can't believe I am the first to comment!! Eli's haircute looks fantastic!! Great job olivia!! He is adorable! I was so happy to see another post and can't believe all that I've missed that is going on in your life. It made me get this sad pit in my stomach. I really miss you!
Okay, your job. I have to call you because I want to hear all the details. You are so fun to listen to and I'm sure you already have lots of stories about your adventures back in high school;)
Ricks job. Congratulations and what a blessing! I'm glad he is liking it so far and I'm sure that when he's ready, his own firm will take off for you guys.
And Luke. Wow. In answer to your question. He has always been handsome but you're right about big. I can't believe how much he's grown. I'm glad he is loving 2nd grade. Brooklyn is loving first and I'm adjusting to having her gone.
I really do plan on calling to chat soon! Thanks for the update. I'll post again in the next few days.
Your forever friend(I know I'm cheezy:), Cassondra

Cassondra said...

What!?!? I was so happy to be the first to comment! That's what I get for taking so long to write it out. You are the most popular blogger I know!! :)

Billie Sue said...

Of course all my little grandsons are so handsome and smart and capable! Something would be wrong if a 15-month old child sat still while you cut his hair. Well, maybe you can get a "Wicked" songbook for Luke and he could learn to play "Popular!" He could play and I'll sing and we'll all have a good time! The house is looking good and now will be when you and Rick really begin racking up the hours tiling, painting and doing finish work. Have fun!

Emily said...

Wow. That's a lot of exciting news! I've been waiting to hear about your new job.

I love this time of year - and all it's changes.

Congratulations to you all!!!!

Can't wait to see how the house looks. . .

Jadi said...

Wow! A lot has been going on in your family. Good luck with you new job. I hope you enjoy it. Also, tell Rick congratulations on his new job. I can't believe Luke and Kaden are already old enough to be in 2nd grade!!! Where did all of the time go?
Thanks for the great update. You have inspired me to update my blog. :)
P.S. The pictures of Eli are adorable!

Whitney said...

You have been a busy bee. Congrats on the job I hope you enjoy it.
It is so sad that our boys are growing up so fast. I can not believe Nick and Luke are in second grade already. Nick is also loving school. All of your boys are so big it nice to hear from you.

Giselle Rasheta said...

Holy cow! You post one day ago and you already have 8 comments racked up? Thank heavens for blog lists so people know as soon as you update.

I'm glad your job is going well and I'm so excited that Rick got a job in Salt Lake. Yes, working for someone else is not as flexible or fun sometimes, but it sure is nice to go to work and come home, rather than always being "at work" trying to make your own thing happen.

Luke is so big! Holy cow. In that second picture on the bus he has a slight look of Ellie. And that second picture of Eli (amazing haircut, by the way, and SUCH a cute picture of Eli), I think he looks a little bit like Rajko!

I think when Rajko is older, if I'm still working, I'll actually try to have him in daycare a day or two per week - for the same reasons Chelsea said, mostly socializing and basically not being spoiled by his Abuelita!

Hmmm....I think that covers it. Love you guys!! I should come visit for Labor Day or something :) Maybe when my house sells I won't be as scared to spend $$.

Billie Jo said...

I live just up the street and I never see you anymore so I believe that you must be busy. I love the pictures of the boys and they both look so old. We are way to old to have kids who look that big!!!!

Marleen said...

Wow! Lots of firsts. Sounds exciting. I personally love change.