Friday, February 27, 2009

Indescribable

I am totally at a loss for words to describe our experience with Summit County.

Unreasonable was doing a heat-loss evaluation to make sure that our house would be efficient enough not to waste natural resources.

Ludicrous was adding another window to the bonus room to ensure we had enough daylight in the room.

Preposterous was having our engineers redraw our site plan to include contour lines and elevation of the garage entry...on our FLAT lot.

Outrageous was finding out we had to have a wetlands consultant come and map the wetlands that exist ONLY on our one acre (and paying her $2,500).

Obscene was paying a $100 application fee and waiting one month to have our petition heard before the board of adjustments.

Shocking was getting a bill from the county for advertising in the newspaper and sending out postcards to make a public notice of the hearing.

The only word I have left that seems to fit the situation is unconscionable, and even that does not seem strong enough.

Last night was our meeting with the board of adjustments to see if they would pass our application to build closer than 40 feet to the wetlands on our lot. No, we did not get approved. They tabled the application for another month to see if we can come up with another plan they like a little better. I can't get into the details of what we have done in the last month (since the application was made and before the board met to make a decision) to try to meet the demands of the county while still being able to build our house, but needless to say we thought that we had a great case to make when we explained to them that we cannot move our house in farther away from the wetlands and still have the sewer/septic system where it needs to be. I am not even joking when I say that they would like us to see if we could move the house even 5 feet. FIVE FEET! You have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!! Oh, I assure you they are not kidding.

I actually did not go to the meeting because I was teaching my aerobics and yoga classes (and because I was not sure I could go and NOT physically or verbally attack someone) but Rick had an interesting story to tell me when he got home. The application presented right before ours was finally passed...after ONE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess that these people applied for a building permit to build a cabin up Weber canyon one year ago and have been going through much of the same garbage with the county as we have. They have gone so far as to buy the lot of land right next to theirs to try to meet all of the county's requirements. The problem? The front corner of the DECK on the cabin was 27 feet from the road on the front and 29 feet from the road on the corner (they have a corner lot). The county setback is 30 feet. When they finally passed their application last night, the woman broke down and started crying! Yes, I'm totally serious.

I wished that I had video documented this entire experience so that I could present it to anyone who thinks that Summit County is not completely and totally over-the-top out of control.

Wish us luck next month. Obviously we will need it.

16 comments:

Chelsea Johnson said...

Asinine? I really don't know how to spell it, even though I was a champ for so many years! The whole thing you guys have been going through is so completely ridiculous! I guess I will be happy with my little house down here!

Billie Jo said...

For real I don't even know where to start. I know they are trying to "preserve" our rural county but this goes beyond preservation. In my mind it seems to be a money game. The good news is that you and Rick should be in great shape by time you jump threw all these hoops!

Billie Sue said...

Well, I was actually in attendance at the meeting and NONE of your words are strong enough for any of the stupidity that took place. I do have to applaud Ken Mitchell--because he was the ONLY member on the Board who had any brains. He was in support and mentioned to those of us in attendance that he is "....a farm boy and that the 'wetland' description is actually a seasonal wetlands dependent upon the drainage off the hill from irrigation water." The chairman of the board was his usual "I'm so funny," guy and the three ladies were sterotypical argumentative, grippie women who want applicants to become totally humble and submissive--as was demonstrated with the applicant prior to Rick! To think that the
County actually expects people to move their home 3 feet to meet their requirements or to move away from the wetland that the Army Corp doesn't even care if they're that close is absolutely the most stupid, unreasonable thing ever! The only positive that comes out of an experience like this is the knowledge, temperance and patience you gain from living through it all! It will happen!!! Don't give up!

Hollie said...

I am so sorry you have to go through all of this. I hope that you will be able to get this accomplished prior to the one year mark. I wish you the best of luck!

Unknown said...

I have a solution...Move to ALASKA! Where our building code consists of nothing else but tarps and tyvac!
(J/K) Good luck!
-Erika

Gennifer said...

Dude. That sucks. I'm sorry, but I'm sure I'll be very jealous of your beautiful new house (someday).

The Cox Family said...

That really is horrible! I don't ever want to build in Summit County. You can always come and live in Heber!

Jadi said...

You have convinced me to NEVER Want to buy property and build our own home. I am so sorry it has turned into such a nightmare. I hope it will go through next month.

Giselle Rasheta said...

Grrrrrr! I am so mad for you - I cannot even imagine how you are feeling at this point...

I'm trying to find a positive in all this, but I can't. All I can say is that you will be very very happy by the time you finally get to break ground and start building that beautiful house!

Whitney said...

I am so sorry that you are going though all this stuff, you should of stayed in Vegas J/K. I hope that things go better next month. Hopefully one day you will be enjoying your new house.

Billie Sue said...

Just so you know -- it is so fun to read your comments on my blog! I know, I know -- we live together and can talk any time we want -- but how fun, after you've gone to bed, for me to sit up here at the computer and hear your voice! Thanks! Love you!

Emily said...

Ugh! I never knew it would be such a pain to build in the most beautiful place on the face of the earth!

It will all be WORTH IT in the end.

McNeil Family said...

I seriously wish there was something that we could do to take those crazy Summit County people down a notch. It seems like the most blatant power trip ever. I'm so sorry. I can't say anything else because I am just speechless. (But excellent writing by the way. So fun to catch up on your blog!)

Cassondra said...

I don't even know what to say... what a trial! Every word I would use to describe how I feel for you, you used in your post. I am so sorry and we'll certainly pray for better luck next month. Hang in there. One day, in a very, VERY long time, this may make a funny story. Well...here's to hoping... ;)

Sorry I've been a lame blogger. I finally put up a post if you want to check it out - no big thing ( a tag about Jake) but I know it gets frustrating to feel connected when someone doesn't post forever so I wanted to give you the heads up. Sorry for my slacking. I miss you a ton and look forward to seeing you sometime this year.
Sincerely,
Cassondra

Stephanie said...

you know I read this awhile back and honestly words failed me. I can't imagine the heartache that comes with just wanting to be in your home already- Especially since you have your plans and your land and everything all dreamed out. Can't wait to hear more about what is going on! :) [in other words we need to hear more from you- I l1ove reading your blog!]

Dan said...

Dan here from the sandbox. It is a different world over here. All is currently going well, as we have not had too many patients. I can only shake my head at the bureacracy you have had to navigate. We've always thought about building a home after our military stint is through, but... we'll see. Hang in there!